Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSOD 0xF4 and Random Hangs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 quri0701

quri0701

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

I have been getting frequent BSoD 0xF4 on my desktop recently almost right after logging in multiple times as well as random hangs.

My desktop spec:

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OEM (retail version)

AGE - 2 months

CPU - Intel Core i7-4770

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2GB

MotherBoard - Asus Z97-a ATX DDR3 2600 LGA

PSU - XFX 650W

Ram: 2x4GB DDR3 1600

256GB SSD

2TB HDD

Having read other forums on this BSoD, I have done:

• Clean install (multiple times)
  • Updated drivers
  • Ran sfc /scannow with no errors
  • Ran chkdsk /r /f with no errors on the ssd or hdd
  • Unplugged everything and plugged them back in (except the CPU and the cable powering the motherboard)
  • Reseated the RAM sticks in different slots
  • Tried running it with only one RAM stick 
  • Ran memtest86 (tried too, but it would not do a second pass, just stays at 100%)

Before I did any of the attempted fixes, it would usually blue screen after logging in almost immediately, multiple times. After applying these fixes, it would blue screen from 5 mins to 1 hour. 

This is what the dump looked like before I did a clean install:

==================================================
Dump File         : 071115-3993-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/11/2015 12:20:25 AM
Bug Check String  : CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000f4
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2       : fffffa80`080756a0
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`08075980
Parameter 4       : fffff800`02be5db0
Caused By Driver  : 
Caused By Address : 
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : 
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\071115-3993-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 8
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 309,794
Dump File Time    : 7/11/2015 12:20:39 AM

Dump File         : 071115-3978-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/11/2015 12:19:35 AM
Parameter 2       : fffffa80`09068b30
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`09068e10
Parameter 4       : fffff800`02be9db0
Caused By Driver  : 
Caused By Address : 
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Crash Address     : 
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\071115-3978-01.dmp
Dump File Size    : 273,386
Dump File Time    : 7/11/2015 12:19:50 AM

Dump File         : 071115-3853-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/11/2015 12:18:28 AM
Parameter 2       : fffffa80`094a3910
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`094a3bf0
Parameter 4       : fffff800`02b9ddb0
Caused By Driver  : 
Caused By Address : 
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Crash Address     : 
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\071115-3853-01.dmp
Dump File Size    : 273,386
Dump File Time    : 7/11/2015 12:18:46 AM

Dump File         : 071115-5194-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/11/2015 12:13:06 AM
Parameter 2       : fffffa80`05ef5b30
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`05ef5e10
Parameter 4       : fffff800`02bcfdb0
Caused By Driver  : 
Caused By Address : 
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Crash Address     : 
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\071115-5194-01.dmp
Dump File Size    : 273,340
Dump File Time    : 7/11/2015 12:13:22 AM

This is what the dump looked like after my clean install:

Dump File         : 071115-8377-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/11/2015 7:59:38 PM
Parameter 2       : fffffa80`0c195b10
Parameter 3       : fffffa80`0c195df0
Parameter 4       : fffff800`02f89e20
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+748c0
File Description  : NT Kernel & System
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.1.7601.18869 (win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603)
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+748c0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\071115-8377-01.dmp
Dump File Size    : 353,394
Dump File Time    : 7/11/2015 8:00:03 PM

I should also mention that it had also blue screened during one of the clean installs. Also for the memtest86, I tried to get it to do more than one pass, but after the first pass it would be stay at 100% during the second pass (I had it run for about 6 hours, it passed the first time and the second time after I reset the test). It was not frozen because I could see it still running tests and I was able to push esc to exit the test. I was told I should try running Prime95 Blend, so I will try to get that result in later, along with the driver verifier and HDD Diagnostic 

Anyways, I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing it is a hardware issue. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Is this a homebuild or retail computer?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

This is a homebuild computer. I should also note that I have been trying for hours to update the graphics card driver, but because it keeps hanging I cannot get it to complete, so that driver is not up to date.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

That particular error message is somewhat generic, but the bottom line is that most likely the problem is a component.

>Try booting into Safe Mode. If you can do that and run the computer and programs for a length of time with no crashes then that tells you that something that is loading on boot that is  crashing the computer so you can start looking for driver conflicts.

If no joy, you can spend days attempting to find the problem, but Here is a sure-fire way to find it. There is no need to remove the mainboard and hard drive, but detach and reconnect the components in that order, testing each one as indicated. We could go through each step here, but it's easier to follow that guide. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. So I've had it running in safe mode for about an hour now with a few programs running (Blue Screen View, Paint, Notepad), as well as updating the GPU's driver. From your reply, it looks like there are some driver conflicts, so I'll have to search for what it is. Anyways, would that mean I would need to go through that sure-fire way to find out if it was a different problem, or would driver conflict be a pretty reasonable guess at to what the problem was? 

Edit: I'll probably have it run overnight as well.

Edit 2: I should probably ask what a good way to go check for driver conflict would be, if you know one.

Edited by quri0701, 12 July 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

So I've had it running in safe mode for about an hour now with a few programs running

Ok, that's a positive result; good idea you have to let it run several hours. As a "gut feeling", I would concentrate on your video card problems at this point. From the Amazon website it appears that your unit has integrated video (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z97-A-DDR3-2600-Motherboards/dp/B00K2MAU5Q) and if you have the Haswell CPU it supports video also. Pull your video card, plug the monitor cable into the mainboard video jack and reboot (as is in the guide I referred you to). It should automatically switch to onboard video. Run a few programs (games are a great stress-tester) and if there are no crashes, you have found the problem - your video card. Then you can test for driver problems or mechanical failure of the card. It should still be under warranty.

[EDIT]:  Sorry...I didn't exactly address the drive question you had. I am not aware of any program or utility that analyzes driver conflicts, per se. I suggest that you totally remove the existing driver, and reinstall the driver that came on a CD with your card. At this point, don't try to upgrade, just get the thing up and running, then investigate updated drivers.

The next thing is your memory; I suggest (same as in the guide I linked you to) that you test each stick of RAM at a time, using the #1 slot for the test stick. If you still hang/BSOD then use Seagate for DOS to test your hard drive. If still no joy, I suggest starting from step1 in the guide and working your way through.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 July 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#7 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

Ok, I removed the GPU, started it up and played a flash game for about 20 mins, so far there have been no BSOD or hangs. So it looks like the problem is my video card, I had updated the driver for my GPU to 353.30 last night, and powered it up on normal mode, but it still hanged. I'm guessing it is a mechanical failure, is there a way to be sure?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:42 AM

Ok, we are making progress here!

When you installed the updated drivers, did you delete the old drivers first? That is always a good thing to do just to be thorough.

What I suggest is to install your video card in a different computer (do not install the drivers) and reboot, just to see if you have problems or crashes. If you do, the card is bad. If there are no crashes, then install the drivers and reboot again. If that computer starts to hang/BSOD you have verified that the card is bad; I am sure it is still under warranty, so I would pursue that track (I am just repeating what is in the guide I linked you to).

By the way, just to make double-sure before entering a warranty claim, run the memory test as outlined in the linked guide just to totally verify that is not the problem (I don't think it is, but more than one ailing computer has fooled me in the past).

Please post back with what your results are, but I think you are in the right direction now.

Edited by ranchhand_, 14 July 2015 - 06:49 AM.

#9 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well, I placed the graphic card into another desktop and ran it, it had no hang/BSOD, let it run for a bit and opened a few programs as well. Then I updated the driver on it, rebooted and ran a few programs as well again, still no hang/BSOD. I'm about to run the memtest86, I figured letting it run about 7 passes should be enough to be sure. I'll post the results once that is finished.

edit: I started the memtest86 on my desktop that was fine by mistake (it did 1 pass) before putting the card back into the problem desktop and I noticed that memtest86 had listed my ram on the screen while it was running on the desktop that was working fine, but it doesn't show that info on the problem desktop, does that make a difference? (Still running memtest86 at the moment).

Edited by quri0701, 14 July 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

Are you using Memtest 86+ or standard Memtest? I prefer the 86+ per my earlier link. Running 86+ several times will not help, once it has completed a full pass (about 20" +or-) that will tell the tale. Do each stick at a time. Any failure notices (red lines at the bottom) means that stick is bad. Do one at a time. Run Memtest 86+ on the problem computer with the video card removed, just to keep things as simple as possible.

#11 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:15 AM

I'm running Memtest 86+ (from your link). From a lot of the forums that I have read, they were all saying to wait for multiple passes, so I figured it would help. Anyways, I've ran each RAM stick, separately, with Memtest 86+  and they both passed with no errors. Also, not sure if it matters but I also have ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 PCI-E Adapter (PCE-AC68) installed. So now I'm not sure what else to do as it seems the graphic card has no issue with my other desktop, but does so with this problem desktop.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

Interesting, also frustrating.

Only one thing left that I can think of. Get a different video card (any kind that will fit) and try running it. You may have to install the drivers (after uninstalling the current drivers). If the crashes continue, your problem is the mainboard, I can see no other reason. If the crashes stop and you have no problems, the problem is the video card simply conflicts with this mainboard, and contact Asus or your retail vendor and present your evidence.

Again, I suggest that you pull everything apart and start step-by-step using the linked guide;  especially reset the BIOS back to factory default, and test your power supply (that hasn't been done yet). I don't think those are the causes, but all components must be tested. I will have to think more on this.

#13 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Ok, so I placed a GTX 770 graphic card into the problem computer, booted it up and it hanged. I started it into safe mode as well, but that was fine, and then started it again in normal mode to be sure (which it hanged again). I'm not really sure how to test the PSU, google says that I should stick some paper clips into some pins, but I don't have any paper clips on me at the moment. So it would seem that the probably is the motherboard, unless you can think of any other tests that I can do to be sure.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

Power Supply testers link:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=power+supply+testers&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I have never used the paper clip method, but there are those who swear by it. Perhaps someone on the forum can shed more light on this. I have an Apevia and a Rosewill tester in the link above, but read the users' reviews for current updates if you are interested.

So...when you install the drivers and the video card becomes active, you have crashes. Running the unit on the integrated video produces no crashes. You have swapped two cards with same result.

It would be nice if you could use a different manufacturer card just to test, but that might be overkill.

Other than that, I can only think that it is a mainboard problem. If you return it, make a log of all the tests you conducted and enclose it with the board so the factory testers will see what you have tried.

#15 quri0701

quri0701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

Ok, well I did the paper clip method to test the PSU and it seemed to work just fine as the fan on the PSU was spinning. Anyways, I'm returning the mainboard, but I talked to the ASUS people and they told me that both graphic cards I used are not compatible with this mainboard (I thought it was compatible because the Q&A section of the product had users asking about the compatibility for the same graphic card and users say that it was compatible). So now I'm looking for another mainboard, that will be compatible with the gpu, cpu, and ram sticks (if you know of a good one, please let me know).

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help and time, though in the end it was my own error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users