Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect bluetooth device

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 etech0

etech0

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hi!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I've about given up.

I have a Motorola bluetooth earpiece (HX550 if anyone asks) that used to connect just fine to my windows 7 computer. One day it just stopped working. I googled a bunch and tried this and that, and nothing helped. I called Motorola and they weren't able to help me either.

I just got a pair of Vivitar bluetooth headphones, and guess what? Same problem!

So it seems to be some kind of driver problem.

Here's what happens:

I paired the Vivitar headphones, and they paired successfully. However, no sound came from them, and I didn't see them in the list of Sound devices.

So I disconnected them, and then tried to reconnect, and I get this error:

zjymxe.png

Can anyone offer advice how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2015 - 11:36 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

Check this page. Make sure the services in Bold have started. It probably is as you were able to pair the device. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager when the device is connected?

#3 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hmm..

"Bluetooth Device Monitor" and "Bluetooth Support Services" are started, but the other two ("Bluetooth" and "Bluetooth OBEX Services") don't even appear in the list!

#4 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

In Device Manager, under "Other Devices" there is "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" with an exclamation point next to it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Right click the device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. What is the make and model of the computer?

Edit: It should also give an error code in the Properties box.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 July 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#6 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

In Properties, the error code is 28.

Here's the first line of Hardware ID: (there's a second line too, btw)

BTHENUM\{12345678-1234-5678-1234-567812345678}_VID&0001000f_PID&0000

The computer is a lenovo IdeaPad Y570.

Thanks!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Download and install the bluetooth driver here. That is not the vendor and device ID I was looking for but hopefully reinstalling the Levono Bluetooth driver will fix the problem.

#8 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

I downloaded and installed that, but it's still now showing the headset in my Sound devices. Devices Manager still shows the exclamation point.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

This could be a hardware problem also, especially if it stopped all of a sudden. Is the second line in Device Manger

BTHENUM\{12345678-1234-5678-1234-567812345678}_LOCALMFG&000f

Edit: Is it possible Bluetooth was turned off? According to Lenovo you can turn it on and off using Fn+F5

See page 18 of your manual here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 July 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#10 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

That is the second line. However, I don't think it's a hardware issue as I tried a brand new Motorola earpiece and got the same issue as the old one. Plus the vivitar headset has the same issue.

The devices will connect, but won't show up in Sound devices.

The motorola earpiece won't connect to my HP desktop either - same issue. It used to connect to both. I have a feeling that maybe a windows update did them in...?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

See my edited post for turning on Bluetooth. You may need to purchase a bluetooth dongle.  There is an updated Broadcom driver here. I would create a restore point

first.

WIDCOMM® Bluetooth Windows® Software

System Requirements Windows® 8/8.1, Windows® 7, Windows® Vista or Windows® XP operating system Computer with either a Broadcom-enabled embedded or USB plug-in Bluetooth wireless adapter Instructions If your computer has an embedded Bluetooth wireless adapter, verify that Bluetooth is turned on. If you have a plug-in USB Bluetooth wireless adapter, verify that it is plugged into your computer, before you start the download. Start the download. When you are prompted to either run or save the file, click Save. When the file has been downloaded, double-click on it to run the setup program. The InstallShield® wizard begins installing the WIDCOMM® Bluetooth software. Follow the installer on-screen instructions. After the Bluetooth software is installed, in Initial Bluetooth Configuration Wizard, click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions to configure your Bluetooth environment. Note: If you are updating existing Bluetooth for Windows® software, it is not necessary to reconfigure your Bluetooth environment.

#12 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

Bluetooth is on - I just double checked.

Downloading the updated driver - it says "This program cannot upgrade your software. Please contact the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device for support".

How do I know if it's talking about the vivitar device or the motorola device? Or maybe it's talking about the bluetooth chip?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

It's most likely talking about the bluetooth chip itself. A person on Lenovo's board posted working updated drivers for the Y570. Check out the bluetooth driver listed. It's a later version then the one I posted.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/IdeaPad-Y570-Updated-Drivers/td-p/757665

Broadcom Bluetooth Driver v6.5.1.1201

#14 etech0

etech0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

Cool!! Now the vivitar headset is working. thanks!

Any idea why the Motorola one still won't play any sound? It connects, but doesn't show up in the list of sound devices, state and won't play any sounds.

much appreciated!

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

I was reading the Motorola FAQ and there is a way to reset the device. See if resetting and then pairing the device works. Other than that I am not sure why the Motorola is not working.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/71059/p/1422,2690,8116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users