Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts Before Windows (safemode Or Otherwise)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 matts41

matts41

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

I have a Compaq Presario 5320 US with:

Pentium 4 1.5 ghz
40 GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
12x DVD drive
12x CD-RW
Windows XP Home Edition

I left for a month and when I returned my brother told me that when he tried to boot the computer it would simply restart before getting to windows. I tried booting and everything would start normally until after the blue login screen when it normally would start windows, at this point the computer and monitor would restart. I tried restarting in safe mode but it would do the same thing (restart) just before getting to the windows desktop. I read somewhere that this could be due to overheating and dust so i took off the cover and cleaned it but it still does the exact same thing. I have never gotten any error messages or bluescreens.

From there I tried complete a repair of my windows. I don't have the XP Home CD, so I made the 6 diskettes. After doing the 6 diskettes, I hit R to get to the windows installation question.

In terms of the windows installation, I read that I should type '1' and then enter. After that, I got to the C:WINDOWS>

From there, I tried these commands:

FIXBOOT
FIXBOOT C:

These Fixboots both worked but after restarting, nothing changed (it still restarted before getting to windows)

COPY A:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY A:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Neither of these worked, the files were not found on A:. Normally one would type D: in the beginning but since I do not have the XP CD then I can't do that.

I almost tried FIXMBR but when I did it said that it detected an invalid or non-standard partition table signature. So I gave up on that in fear of screwing something up.

Does anyone have anything else I can try? Should I continue with FIXMBR? Is there something I am doing wrong? Anything anyone can tell me would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks so much for any suggestions or advice in advance.

MS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

You are most likely experiencing a hardware or driver conflict.
-If you are getting the "automatic restart" in safe mode, this is probably your issue.
2 things to try:
A) Press F8 before any signs of Windows is loading
(If you have Service Pack 2 installed, you will have an option here called: "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure"
-This will produce a blue screen which can help in understanding your issue

:thumbsup: Try removing any non-essential hardware (Printers / Cams / Controllers / Modem / Internal cards such as dial up modem, sound card etc)

The first option is your best bet if you have SP2 cause that will produce an error code and maybe some file names that are causing this problem.

Let us know if you can get an exact error from the bluescreen if applicable.
JU$T1N~1

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Hi matts41, welcome to BC.

almost tried FIXMBR but when I did it said that it detected an invalid or non-standard partition table signature. So I gave up on that in fear of screwing something up.

That is probably the recovery partition which you should always try first.
You don't want to use standard windows disks with an OEM unless you have no other choice.
Shutdown your system, disconnect all peripherals except keyboard, monitor and mouse, then power back up.
At the first sign of a logo screen, rap the F10 key repeatedly. you should see a recovery menu.
There will be 2 choices, Destructive or Non-destructive. Choose Non-destructive. A destructive recovery will reformat the drive and re-install windows.

#4 matts41

matts41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

You are most likely experiencing a hardware or driver conflict.
-If you are getting the "automatic restart" in safe mode, this is probably your issue.
2 things to try:
A) Press F8 before any signs of Windows is loading
(If you have Service Pack 2 installed, you will have an option here called: "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure"
-This will produce a blue screen which can help in understanding your issue

:thumbsup: Try removing any non-essential hardware (Printers / Cams / Controllers / Modem / Internal cards such as dial up modem, sound card etc)

The first option is your best bet if you have SP2 cause that will produce an error code and maybe some file names that are causing this problem.

Let us know if you can get an exact error from the bluescreen if applicable.

Justin - I hit F8 and then disabled automatic restart. Then I got an ominous blue screen that said:

"Stop:c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process System Process Terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has shut down"

Doesn't look good. Any further advice. Thanks.

Matt

#5 matts41

matts41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi matts41, welcome to BC.

almost tried FIXMBR but when I did it said that it detected an invalid or non-standard partition table signature. So I gave up on that in fear of screwing something up.

That is probably the recovery partition which you should always try first.
You don't want to use standard windows disks with an OEM unless you have no other choice.
Shutdown your system, disconnect all peripherals except keyboard, monitor and mouse, then power back up.
At the first sign of a logo screen, rap the F10 key repeatedly. you should see a recovery menu.
There will be 2 choices, Destructive or Non-destructive. Choose Non-destructive. A destructive recovery will reformat the drive and re-install windows.

HitSquad - F10 takes me to a Compaq system utility page. I don't see a destructive or non-destructive option but there seems to be some things I could possibly do with that page. I just don't know what I would do. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Matt

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:53 AM

What are the options it gives you?

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

What I am going to suggest is a non-destructive re-install of windows called a repair-install. You will need the COA = key code and the Windows install software for this job. Please print the article for reference before doing the job

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#8 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

Aftre doing a quick research on your error codes:

It seems that either the kernel or hives have become corrupt.
You may be able to run a repair install to fix your problem here.
-Another option would be to boot from your XP CD (if you have one)
and replace these.

Either that or something is preventing startup files from loading.

Your best bet here though, is to probably repair or reinstall Windows
JU$T1N~1

#9 matts41

matts41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

The problem with the XP repair is that I don't have an XP CD. I only have the stupid recovery CD and the 6 diskettes that I made to take the place of the XP CD but seem to be pretty worthless.

I have actually slaved my harddrive and cleared out all of the spyware and registry but it still does the same thing. At least I have my files backed up though.

If anyone has any additional suggestions short of getting the XP CD, I would love to hear them. Thanks to all who replied.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

As Hitsquad suggested, most HPs and Compaqs have a hidden restore partition on them which they provided if the computer did not come with a restore or Windows cd.

Shutdown the computer and reboot, looking carefully on the bios boot screen for instructions to access the recovery partition. One of the choices should be to restore Windows to the system state as it had when new.

Backup whatever data you have.

If you "cleared out" the registry your computer will not operate until you either replace it or reinstall Windows.

If you do not have either a restore partition or a restore disk contact HP-Compaq support and they will sell you one for your particular computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 July 2006 - 10:49 PM.

#11 matts41

matts41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:41 PM

What are the options it gives you?

These are the main F10 options:

File
save to diskette
restore from diskette
exit.....etc

Storage
device config
storage options
IDE DPS self-test
boot order

Security
passwords
device security
network security boot
system IDs
master boot record security

Advanced
power on options
onboard devices
PCI devices
Bus options
device options

Any of these options look like something I should look into? They sound good but again, I don't know what to do with any of them. Gracias

#12 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

It sounds like you're getting the BIOS setup page not the recovery options. Sorry I can't tell you how to get into recovery but at least I can warn you not to go messing with the BIOS settings unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Edit: found this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00024476

Basically it tells you the same thing HitSquad said, the way to get into recovery is to tap F10 repeatedly as soon as you see anything on the screen after power-up. However other info on the support pages says _some_ Presarios use F10 as the BIOS setup key, which appears to be your case:

On certain Compaq Presario PCs (prior to 2002) press the F10 key at the logo screen to enter setup.

I would suggest calling Compaq/HP support to see whether they can resolve this dilemma. I have not been able to find specific info on the HP website regarding recovery for this (apparently older) model Presario. As Enthusiast said, your best option might be to get a set of recovery CDs.

Edited by DaveM59, 12 July 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#13 chadny

chadny

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thank you all for your replys. I am having the exact same problem and when I disable auto-restart I get the blue screen with the following message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL .. The technical data at the bottom is:

STOP 0x00000000FF, 0xF7B4E354, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x804E2E41

any help is great, Im in over my head on this one.

Thanks
Chad

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

OK, here's a link for the STOP c000021a error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x21a

Basically what it says is that, for some reason, Winlogon or CSRSS has been compromised. With your report of removing spyware from the system I'd suspect that it was the cause (and in this case, the removal of the spyware has "broken" the system).

Now, there is no STOP 0x000000FF error that I was able to locate on the web. But, using the symbolic name ( IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ) I figure that this is the same as the STOP 0x0000000A error at this link: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x0a

Basically, what this one is saying is that the system made a bad request for an IRQL - and that the system couldn't handle it. This is sort of a "catch all" for errors that aren't otherwise explained.

Just FYI - Another similar sounding STOP error is the STOP 0x000000D1 (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) - it's here: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1

So, the long and short of it is....you can mess around for a long time trying to fix this (I'll give you the long list of steps if you want them) without any assurance of success. Or, you can backup your data and then reformat and reinstall the OS (using the recovery partition would be the easiest way). I'd recommend the destructive recovery option in order to ensure that every last trace of the viruses/spyware are eliminated.

Here's some links for you:

Your PC's general information page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...p;product=93212

Obtaining Recovery CD's:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bph07143

How to perform a System Recovery in Windows XP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bph07145

Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bph07144
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users