Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezes, Possibly GPU related?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bradalee21

Bradalee21

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

Hey,

I'm currently experiencing some really frustrating freezes at random intervals, which end up in me having to manually turn my computer off via the power switch since the machine goes completely unresponsive when it happens. I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out, and see if it's an issue that is easily fixed, or one that requires me to replace some hardware.

As of now i've had three separate errors, the third of which i've had once only, which was what actually prompted me to make this thread right now. The first is a random freeze that leaves the computer running, but my monitor no longer receives any signal from the computer, so the screen goes black and the monitors goes into sleep mode. The second just freezes the entire computer. The third one - which happened today for the first time - results in my screen going into one of those blocky messes of random colours as it flashed between that and a black screen, during this time my computer was making some really loud, deep whirring noises too.

It seems to me like it's a GPU issue, so i posted in this section of the forum, but i'm by no means and expert so if this is the wrong section, i apologise! Hopefully someone here can help me out though, so thank you in advance! I'll stick a bit of info below in case it's useful:

GPU: 3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

The GPU may be over heating, the thermal paste may not be doing its job, the whirring noise has me thinking fans may be dirty or not functioning.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

To add to above:

Check that video card and cabling is sound and connected properly (pull, inspect and  reseat).

#4 Bradalee21

Bradalee21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

I've taken a look at the temperatures of all my components,but nothing seems to be overly high in there. The GPU seems to stay at around 70C when gaming, yet it's still crashing and freezing once an hour or so. I haven't taken a look inside since i've never looked inside a computer before, so i'm not sure if that's the best idea for me to do. But equally, i don't want to take it into a shop just to be charged by someone to be told that i need to buy a new part. Perhaps i can look at some Youtube guides and see if i can clean it out myself, see if that helps with anything.

Thanks guys :)

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

When was the last time it was cleaned?  Any component large or small has the potential to have heat problems, I would pull the cover to see how it looks inside.

#6 Bradalee21

Bradalee21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

Well it's three years old, and has never been cleaned. I just opened it up and there was some dust in there, but it didn't look like it was caked in the stuff. Nevertheless i used some compressed air that i had to fire the dust outwards, along with some alcohol solution on cotton buds for smaller areas. I'm not too keen on removing the parts though, since i'm not convinced i'd manage to get them in again by myself! I guess we'll see if this makes any sort of difference or not.

Also, i had a poke around and the GPU itself seems to b snugly in place, and the cabling isn't loose or frayed in any way, so that seemed to be fine at least.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

Look at the various fans, an over heating power supply, which will not show its temps in most temp programs.  All fan blades should cleaned, you can use a non conducting item like a cocktail stirrer or similar to hold them from spinning while you blow them off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users