Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TrackPad and Mouse problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

On my WXP Laptop, which I use from time to time, the TrackPad and wireless Mouse have both stopped working. Fortunately I have a very basic wired mini Mouse which still works so I am not locked out and can still use the X.

Every time I start up I get a message about a new device being detected, which I take to be the Mouse (and Trackpad?) as there is no other device. I am asked if I want to install but then when I try I get a pop-up report to the effect that the file I am going to install is older than the one already on the PC and do I want to proceed?  I select 'No'.

I presume I have a problem with my my Mouse and Trackpad settings and / or with the drivers?

Acer Aspire 5000 WXP3

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

Not exactly a problem. Some computers, particularly laptops, get all excited when you plug an external device in and ask about installing drivers and others don't bat an eyelid after the first time !  It's a minor nuisance but that's about all. As for the message about one driver being older than the one in use this is due to a newer one being installed at some point, perhaps along with a Windows update, and the older one not being deleted.  I think you will just have to live with it - as you say you don't use this laptop very often.

With regards to the wireless mouse - have you tried a new battery ?  That's the number one cause of them stopping to work. Of course, number two is that the mouse has just died !  They do.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Chris.

The fault is not with the Mouse (or its batteries) --- I have just transferred it from my W8.1 Tablet (for which I I have bought a new, somewhat better Mouse).  The 'old' (not very) Mouse works OK.

What concerns me more is that the TrackPad has also stopped working (are Mouse and TrackPad connected, and not functioning for the same reason?). If I had not had the wired mini Mouse I would have been locked out of the Laptop, as far as I can see.  I would have not had a way to select / click on anything at Start up lo launch anything or t fiddle with the OS to get it going again.There was no way I could move the cursor to select the account to login.

clayto

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Sorry - I hadn't got the point that the trackpad was your greater concern.

It may not have stopped working, it may be switched off automatically when you plug the mouse in. A great number of laptops have a switch (Fn + one of the F keys) to switch off the trackpad but some switch it off automatically when you plug a mouse in. Since I don't like trackpads if I am doing anything other than casual work on a laptop I plug a mouse in and switch the trackpad off - otherwise I keep brushing it - but I have used at least one laptop where this wasn't necessary.

Have a look at your F keys and see if one of them has  a symbol that looks vaguely like either a trackpad or a mouse (or even both!). If there isn't such a key then your laptop probably disables the pad automatically.

Of course, I may still be missing the point !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Your not exactly missing the point but the information that the TrackPad (and Mouse) problem has only arisen in the last few weeks. Before that they both worked happily together for many years.  (I did look at the F keys out of curiosity but they do not have Mouse / Trackpad symbols).

I also do not use the Trackpad much either, that is on the XP.  On my W8.1 Tablet I use it rather more and do not like to be without it, especially after losing the Mouse altogether following some remote work by a technician. I managed to keep the Tablet in use a few days by a combination of Trackpad and Touch (although I am not very good with the latter for some reason) until I eliminated the Mouse problem with a System restore. So I like to have all options available in case if one does not work, hopefully another will.  

clayto

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hi Chris

Coincidence is such a remarkable thing.  Within about an hour of posting my little saga about loosing the function of the Trackpad (and Mouse) on my W8.1 Tablet I had lost the use of the Tablet Trackpad again!  I tried everything for most of the day without success.  Then I suddenly thought, I wonder if by any chance my Tablet has the Fn key Chris just told me about, with a Trackpad symbol. Yes! and it worked, my Trackpad is restored.

In the last few days I have been checking out the Fn keys, not having used them before on this machine. I managed to identify most of them --- the articles I found are not very accurate as far as my Tablet is concerned --- but a couple of keys remain unidentified, one of them being F12 with a little blue rectangle crossed through.

So I have solved two issues in one go, thanks to your help.  

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users