Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

view and track downloads pop up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 haven'taclue

haven'taclue

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:31 AM

Hello,

I am a bit of a dinosaur and struggling to know what to do...?

The desktop on my computer has changed - most of the icons have changed from how they previously looked to small white squares with the letter 'e' in pale blue and a dark blue curved arrow pointing upwards.

When I try to click on any of the icons a pop up flashes up; it is a box with the heading "view and track downloads"  then there is a word followed by .exe  then the option to 'run' or 'save'.  I currently have 18 of these boxes minimised at the bottom of my screen. Each time the word tends to be the word of the action tried followed by .exe  eg  iexplore.exe,  rundl32.exe,  rstrui.exe   and so on.

The only way I can access the internet or my emails is by pressing the start button and right clicking internet explorer or read email.

My computer also has other users, but when I switch into their sections they are not affected at all.

I cannot do system restore because this just causes yet another pop up. I also spent 4 hours yesterday scanning the system with microsoft security essentials.  I have tried starting it in safe mode and safe mode with networking and nothing helps.  I actually don't really know what I am doing (which is probably obvious from this thread....)

My system is Windows  Vista (not sure how I find out which version I am using?) and I am using Internet Explorer 9 (which I think I may have redownloaded yesterday).  I also downloaded the little blue man holding a spanner from microsoft fix it yesterday (as I said, I don't know what I'm doing...?)  I have even tried to use the 'repair computer' choice when pressing F8 and seeing the black screen with the choices for safe mode.  I tried repair computer, safe mode, and safe mode with networking.

So as you can see I am clueless and useless.

Any help would be amazing - especially if you have managed to keep reading this debacle right to the end.....

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

down load and run Adwcleaner, then Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

if you cant run them in normal mode, run them in safe mode,

if the problem is still not solved after you run those two programs, try a system restore to a point previous to when the issue occured

what type of virus protection are you using?

Edited by mikey11, 12 July 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#3 haven'taclue

haven'taclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

Hello Mikey11,

I currently have microsoft security essentials downloaded, but did download malwarebytes anti-malware about a week ago but it seems to have disappeared. However, when i type mbam into the search box after pressing the start button, it shows that it is still on this computer but possibly on another user's bit...?  

Shall I uninstall my microsoft security essentials before trying to download malwarebytes anti-malware?  I did try to download it yesterday but it just gives me the pop up "view and track downloads"  mbam.exe  run save box.

Also, when I tried to download anything yesterday in safe mode it still threw up the pop up box of "view and trackdownloads"  etc  but a bigger version!

I can't access system restore because it just gives me a pop up box  again with the .exe  after the name and then run  or save.  Also, if I press the run button it just keeps flashing up another pop up box...

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

click on start button....type in cmd

right click on cmd that appear and click on run as administrator

when the black box appears type in msconfig and enter

another window should appear

click the startup tab then click disable all

click the services tab and click the checkbox that says hide all microsoft services,

click on disable all,

click apply,

click on ok

restart computer

Edited by mikey11, 12 July 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#5 haven'taclue

haven'taclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

When I type cmd and then right click I am afraid I do not have the option "run as administrator"  I have:   open, scan with Microsoft Security Essentials, Pin to start menu, Add to Quick Launch, Send to, Cut, Copy, Delete, Open file location, Properties.

?

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

just click on the cmd then

#7 haven'taclue

haven'taclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

Hi, did that and up popped the "view and track your downloads cmd.exe  run  start"  box

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

take some pics of these popups, and post them here, also go into your add or remove programs.....look for a program with that name and try to uninstall it

Edited by mikey11, 12 July 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#9 haven'taclue

haven'taclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Desperately trying to attach photos of pop ups; not working (probably me...)   There are loads of .exe pop ups, if I uninstall them will I have any programmes etc left?

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

i sent you a PM

#11 haven'taclue

haven'taclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hi Mikey11,

Just followed your last instructions and now when I click on your email link it won't allow me saying "you don't have permission..." so I have had to contact you this way. Computer still doing same pop ups.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

Haven'taclue - you have my sympathy.

I suspect you are suffering from infection by malware. What I would like you to do is to go and start a new thread in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC describing your problem. The first thing to do is to make sure that your computer is clean before you try solving anything else.

If you either post here and say you have started a topic in 'Am I infected?' or send me a PM - click on the Scottish flag, my avatar, then in the top right hand of the window that opens click on 'Send a message' - to that effect I will then close this topic to prevent confusion.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

I am delighted to hear that you have sorted this problem out and that everything is 'hunky dory' even if your methodology could be described as a little suspect !

I don't know if I've sorted things out by pure luck...? I messed about until 2.00am this morning pressing all kinds of buttons and bizarrely the pop ups stopped. My icons were still weird, but today I faffed about again and tonight they all appear normal again. I don't know what I've done but the computer is quicker, my "run as administrator" has reappeared (didn't know it had disappeared) so I think I might be okay. Unless of course you think differently. I still have microsoft essential showing I'm green and good. So fingers crossed...

So long as you are happy that your computer is working normally then there is no need for any further action.

Safe computing.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users