Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to enter a url in Internet Explorer without the mouse!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:18 PM

Do you like using the keyboard for most of your tasks and avoid the mouse whenever you can? Here is a small tip on enter a web address, or url, in Internet Explorer's address field without using the mouse. Simply press the Alt button and the letter D (Alt+D) at the same time, and the address field will become highlighted.

Type the web address and press enter and Internet Explorer will go to that site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:45 AM

in IE F6 Key will also highlight the address bar =)

Edit: forgot to add F6 will only work it you didn't have the address bar already selected or the cursor in the address bar already Alt+D works the same way
The reason for why this works is if you look at address bar and the word Address you'll see it as Address the underline indicates an ALT command just like File, Favorites ECT...
as we all know Microsoft products all have ALT ways of doing justabout everything!
Just like F10 is same as ALT being held down but only works in the menu bar (that i know of)

Edited by LoLucky, 01 December 2004 - 12:20 PM.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:22 PM

Nifty I might never use It I just love the mouse I guess.......

#4 Johnny305SR

Johnny305SR

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

ive found that CTRL + Tab does the same thing...and if you have AutoComplete turned on you could simply type "bleepingcomputer" and instead of just pressing Enter you press CTRL + Enter and it will automatically append "http://" and ".com" to the address....only does .com tho... :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnny305SR, 09 January 2005 - 08:51 AM.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

There are some who may not know that you can click start, click run, type in www.webaddress.com and click okay and it will open your default browser and bring you to that page. (www.webaddress.com is only an example, not a real website)

#6 twasbrillig

twasbrillig

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:54 PM

Oops. I doubled up the post and can't see a way to delete it.

Edited by twasbrillig, 27 January 2005 - 11:00 PM.

Murphy was an optimist.
Twasbrillig

#7 twasbrillig

twasbrillig

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:59 PM

Thanks. I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts whenever I am working from the keyboard.

I also notice that <alt> <down arrow> will open the dropdown list for the address and then release <alt> and the <down arrow> will move down to the sites used recently.

I recently learned that <windows key><pause/break> opens the System Properties when you need to check settings or get information. Sure beats the start menu method.
Murphy was an optimist.
Twasbrillig

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thanks. I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts whenever I am working from the keyboard.

I also notice that <alt> <down arrow> will open the dropdown list for the address and then release <alt> and the <down arrow> will move down to the sites used recently.

I recently learned that <windows key><pause/break> opens the System Properties when you need to check settings or get information. Sure beats the start menu method.

Right click my computer, select properties, you are at system properties.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:32 AM

this also works in firefox as well... if you press alt+d or F6 they both work just as well in firefox

#10 dobhar

dobhar

I Hate the Nasty's

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the "address" tips. I love keyboard shortcuts and will use this one often. :thumbsup:

Here's one that I use. I password protect my PC and a quick way of locking it is using the key combination of Windows and L. (Note: I just used Capital L to emphasize...you can use any case)

Edited by dobhar, 19 February 2005 - 11:46 AM.

#11 PrittStick

PrittStick

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:24 PM

That also works for Firefox. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=69033&t=82

Edited by PrittStick, 18 March 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:08 PM

Thats a really sweet tip PrittStick, thanks!

Edited by QQQQ, 18 March 2005 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users