Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid State Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:45 AM

I am going to buy an additional hard drive as I am quickly running out of space.I would like to buy an SSD but have no experience with them. I don't know whether to buy a SATA drive or one that plugs directly into the MOBO via  PCI-e expansion slot. I have 3 of those and1 mini-card connector.Anybody with experience in using these drives?I would love to hear your advice! I also have a regular SATA connector open-This is a n HP Pavillion Desktop p6370t model.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

I have a SATA 3 SSD, and let me tell you it's great! The speed difference I noticed with my laptop was unbelievable. I was told (not sure if true) that to make best use of an SSD, install only the OS and a couple of programs/games and put everything else on the HDD. That's why I got a 128 GB one.

PCIe is faster, but I'm not sure by how much.

If I were you I'd do a clean install too. Looked at your PC specs on your profile, and not sure how old it is, but I noticed you have HD 3000 series graphics like me! I never see anyone still using those cards.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:32 AM

Just Googled your model it has a recovery partition, this is something you should preserve.  I would buy an SSD large enough to transfer you HD contents to, there is no gain using an SSD for storage.  Use the SSD for you main Drive once up and running format you existing drive for a storage drive.  That will give you the full benefit of the speed that an SSD will give you.  I have three machines running SSD's it is the best improvement one can make, My last was a Samsung 250 gig replacing a 500 G spinner, it came with a transfer disk which also made almost all of the needed system settings, you will need to set your bios to AHCI.  It is like buying a brand new machine that rocks.  

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Just Googled your model it has a recovery partition, this is something you should preserve.  I would buy an SSD large enough to transfer you HD contents to, there is no gain using an SSD for storage.  Use the SSD for you main Drive once up and running format you existing drive for a storage drive.  That will give you the full benefit of the speed that an SSD will give you.  I have three machines running SSD's it is the best improvement one can make, My last was a Samsung 250 gig replacing a 500 G spinner, it came with a transfer disk which also made almost all of the needed system settings, you will need to set your bios to AHCI.  It is like buying a brand new machine that rocks.  

Does the transfer disk duplicate Windows? If it does, depending on the age of the install, it may be better to start from scratch. I've never used a disk like that so I wouldn't know really, but clean installs always work well for me to additionally increase speed.

When I built my desktop I took the SSD back out of my laptop and reinstalled the HDD with Windows 7 clean. I couldn't believe how slow it was! Starting Windows...waiting...waiting...still waiting...etc...

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

THe transfer software will copy the contents completely, you other and maybe better option is to install the SSD and do a clean install.  Wait a few weeks before you format the old drive, most often you will want something you forgot.

#6 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

THe transfer software will copy the contents completely, you other and maybe better option is to install the SSD and do a clean install.  Wait a few weeks before you format the old drive, most often you will want something you forgot.

I think the "transfer software" your were talking about is "disk clone" software, since you said "copy the content completely".

paul88ks might need a PC transfer software which can transfer applications, system and files separately, like PCTrans, PCmover, NTI Migrator.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

Ok - Guys- i bought this computer off of an individual for a very reasonable price- and the first thing I did was to wipe the hard drive completely and install Windows 7 - my own copy- so what i am really asking here is should i go with a PCI-E or a SATA SSD.Which is better? which is faster/ and which is more reliable - i know how to back up my drives- I wiped the recovery partition as soon as I got it ,as it was

WindowsVista- there will be none of that in my house! This is not my first rodeo- all I want to know is --- Is a SATA SSD better than a PCI-E SSD.Is the transfer rate faster or neither? just looking for your input!

#8 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

PCIe is definitely faster. I know that much.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:34 AM

Karzahni thank You - that is all i needed to know for now! I'll post again after i buy the Drive- Thanks -Paul!

Edited by paul88ks, 13 July 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:46 AM

Here is an excellent read :  http://www.overclock.net/t/1489684/ssd-interface-comparison-pci-express-vs-sata

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Here is an excellent read :  http://www.overclock.net/t/1489684/ssd-interface-comparison-pci-express-vs-sata

Geat Article on PCIe SSDs'. I have 3 PCI-e x 1connectors on my mobo.Most of the cards discussed here were x2 or x3. I will have to to some more research on whether I can find one that is compatible  with my mobo. If not- I will have to go th SATA route!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users