Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much time per week do you spend fixing your own computer problems?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

I'm curious to know, because it seems to me that my average 30 hours per week is too much.  Granted, I have a lot of machines, but most of the problems are on the ones I use the most:  one XP, and two Win7's.  Plus lately, the installation of 8.0/8.1, Win10, and two more Linux distros.  Each of these took a full day.  Is that normal?  I do configure everything for similarity, so there are thousands of options to change, and lots of programs to install.  Do you go through that?

And I guess the next question is, how does anyone have a social life, after?  Any tips?

Thank you for your time!

Edited by brainout, 11 July 2015 - 10:54 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:19 PM

As a non-geek..if my fingers are not working on something about a computer, or in a forum, then I must need to re-fix my hair!

More than one computer indeed does take looking after (IMO) Your XP machine might take the back burner compared to those running W7, W8.1 and of course the new W10!  Linux is a foreign language for me, there are plenty of experts here who will guide you on that!

How many computers do you actually have (no worries if it's 3!)

Bleeping Computer becomes your social life! Ha!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

I have three up and running enough is enough, The few issues I have had were cured up here or assisted with the recovery partition.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Three computers and maybe an hour a week average. Some weeks zero some weeks more.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

0, because I have none. Fixing other's people computer problems, around 35 hours per week (and this is only when I'm at work).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your replies, this is most insightful.  Softeyes, I have 30 computers, none of them networked, 19 of which are Windows, the rest DOS.  I also have maybe 10 Linux distros I plug into the 19 from time to time, so how many more computers you want to count of them.  But it's always something.  Go to print and get interrupted by some update.  Do the update, then forgot what I was trying to print. Remember what to print, and the phone rings.  Finish the phone, and the browser won't work.

You've heard this before. :)

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:59 PM

30 Machines does sound alot , or you have a lot of spare time to attend to them when issues arise.

I myself run 3 desktops and one Laptop.

The HP G6 Laptop Windows 7 Ultimate for Internet / Forums / Downloads  just runs and no issues for the past 2 yrs.

The Asus Desktop Win 7 Ultimate x 2 /  is for  Video Editing / Photoshop etc. 5 Yrs no Issues.

XP Pro Media Desktop attached to Panasonic Plasma TV for Music / Movies. 8 yrs no issues.

Xp Pro Desktop / For Internet / Backup Machine in case the rest have issues { None as yet }.

I will add that these Systems all run Caddy Racks x 2 for Image Backups to Hard Drives and file sorting when needed from Drive to Drives.

And also a Rack for Operating System drives when swapping over on tests or different setup machines , so only drive systems and not complete setup.

I probable spend 2 hours a week on Updates as i do them all manually , and general cleaning of all systems.

Overall if their running ok and programs meet my needs , then it aint broke and no need to update them to newer versions , yet antivirus is  always updated and Malware Cleaners when required but that has been years since ive been infected at least 5-6 yrs.

Any new system setup will take a whole day to setup , Operating System / Drivers / Programs / Updates / Configuration /  testing.

If i fix computers for friends etc , i do everything from start to end and they need to do nothing its all done , probably why i dont see them again for years.

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:51 PM

I don't do much on my computer so there isn't much opportunity for issues to occur, and when they do I rarely troubleshoot. I find most of the issues I experience are just random flukes, so it's easier to use a combination of disk-protection and backup images to keep me in a working state. If an issue arises I reboot, and disk-protection erases the changes returning me to a working state. If the issue can't be solved with disk-protection software then I just restore from my backup image (takes maybe 20 minutes). If the same issue occurs more than a few times, then I no longer consider it a random fluke, and I try to fix it, but that's not very often. Of course, unlike you, I just have 3 machines, and I only really use 1, which is Windows 8.

#9 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

Havachat, I don't have the spare time.  It's the cost of trying to get something simple done during a day.  While on here, for example, some other problem I have to fix, is going on and I have to baby it.  So the amount of time spent online (for example here) is .. a lot.  Yet it's heartening to know that you aren't having those problems!  Very much so.  Grateful!

And hollowface, restoring isn't something I've had to do yet.  Just reclone.  I'm glad yours only takes 20 minutes.  Most of the posts I've read about restoring, are measured in terms of hours.  I do backups, automated (Macrium), so that doesn't count as time loss.  Never restored a backup, in 30 years.  So it's thrilling to hear that many (represented by you) don't have nightmarish experiences.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:10 AM

@ brainout....have a look at Rollback Rx     or Rollback Rx Pro

I am using the Home edition......works like a breeze

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:43 AM

I have only one single laptop, since I live alone. Doesn't spend any time fixing issues since I don't have any.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:36 AM

I have had Ubuntu 14 installed for over a year now without any problems. 

Tweaking things is a different matter, I have spent hours and hours tweaking stuff in VM before applying it to my machine, Hey it's Linux, I think its in the TOS that you must tinker and customise the daylights out of it. Don't like any of the stuff in the repos? No problem create your own. Reveal Bash Script Development Thread

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

One desktop, two laptops.  I spend lots of hours tweaking, some hours fixing -- weekly.  I need to get out into the nonVirtual world more!  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

@ brainout....have a look at Rollback Rx     or Rollback Rx Pro

I am using the Home edition......works like a breeze

OOHHHHHHHHHH.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Well, I downloaded will give Cloner and Pro a try.  Thing is, I'm the only user of the machines.  The chat doesn't work, will have to find out how many copies should be purchased.

I really really hope this works as well or better than GoBack, it is really the kind of first-perimeter defense a computer needs.  The other things are still needful, but man there's nothing to replace just dialing back the time to when it worked.  Manually setting restore points, just won't cut it.

THANK YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 10:27 AM.

#15 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

Alextrasza, I'm so happy for you, this is great.  The only thing worse than suffering is see others suffer.

NickAu, you are so right!  I did try to create a brainSUSE in OpenSuse, but couldn't do it right.  Maybe your bash link will overcome my reluctance to type in consoles. :)

RolandJS, you and me both!  My social life begins if clients go on extension.  So look how I'm spending it.. here, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users