Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitor issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 M Tuggle

M Tuggle

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:59 PM

I've got an issue, I'm trying to set up dual monitors at work for several desktop work stations and I'm having some resolution issues on the second monitor. It will not let me increases the resolution to the monitors native resolution when I do the screen goes black or is very unstable. The work stations are HP Compaq 6005 pro microtowers running windows 7 professional with an integrated ATI Radeon hd 4200 gpu. The first monitor is connected using the VGA port and the second is connected through the displayport to VGA adaptor, I have the latest drivers installed. Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

Okay, it sounds like your ATI doesn't know about the other monitor, and since that setting can be OFF though connected, there's a need to turn it ON.  I have ATI on my XP machine with two monitors and an HP 6400; my main Win7 also has two monitors, but Intel HD, and yes displayport to VGA adaptor.  For the XP, there's a tabbed dialog box for ATI;  in Win7, it might be part of Personalize Display Settings, which should reveal if Windows 'knows' you have two monitors connected.  Make sure both monitors are ON, and see.

Did you run Windows 7 Media Center?  That helped me.

Or, right-click on Win7 desktop, then you should find something worded similar to 'Graphics Options' then a flyout menu gives you 'Output to' and you select 'Extended Desktop': make sure it shows two monitors. But to get the actual settings right, instead of 'Graphics Options' you might see something like 'Graphics Properties', click that and then look for 'Multiple Displays' in the dialogue box.  Click on that, and then re-arrange Monitor 1 and 2 as you actually have them placed, plus change the resolution settings (if needed) for each monitor, including RGB etc. as desired.  Then click 'OK', and the screens refresh;  if you like the setting, 'Accept' it.  The foregoing are the menu options for Intel, but they should be similar with ATI; though perhaps you get a tabbed dialog box instead.  (ATI is wonderful, btw, but I don't have it on Win7.  Hence am guessing.)

These are monitor settings controlled by Win7 and your video card, not affected by the underlying PC.

Edited by brainout, 11 July 2015 - 10:20 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 M Tuggle

M Tuggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

I have done all of that, I have them set to extended mode but every time I adjust the resolution to the native setting on the second monitor the screen goes black.  

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

Okay, well I've had that problem (maybe not quite the same) before, and every time the problems was not the monitor or the computer, but the 'handshake' (for lack of a better word) between the software (Windows or the graphics card) and the monitor.  Basically the monitor turning black, is treated as if it didn't exist. I'm assuming you've already proven it's not a cable or hardware connection problem.  I'd bet money that the monitor and the software are talking past each other, so to speak.  Else maybe a simple menu setting on the monitor itself.  It's a simple setting/communication problem.

Found this link just now.  Those folks are pretty savvy. The whole search is here.  I say that because I would have expected someone else to answer you by now.  I'm new here (well, joined in 2012 but didn't start posting until two weeks ago).  I don't know folks here well enough to seek another member for help.  But I do know the folks in sevenforums.  They've saved my bacon many times.  Folks here really great, too.  More broad-range, older.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 M Tuggle

M Tuggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the help, not sure what I did but got it working..., I took the adaptor and monitor home to work on it over the weekend with no luck, I hooked it all back up this morning at work and I was able to set the resolution to the monitors native setting and it has been stable all day (no flickering). I don’t get it, nothing changed and I cannot tell you how many times I swapped out cables and checked connections….

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users