Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply doesn't start (Except it does)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Malfetus

Malfetus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

Alright, this is a odd problem that I've never seen with what is probably a obvious solution.

I just built a new desktop last night. i5 4690k, GTX 970, 8gb, etc etc with this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438028

T
onight I decided to do the software stuff and some OCing (Well, I have the ASRock Extreme3 board and used a OC preset - 4.4ghz). All went well, temps stable and the such. Now, I'm not sure if this is relevant information but this is when the fail happened. My MB only came with two sata cables, and I had one run to my HDD and another to my DVD drive. I finished using my DVD drive for the time being and wanted to run a SSD, so I shut down my computer, switched the sata cable, and tried to power my PC - except it wouldn't turn on. 

So I sat there frantically troubleshooting to find that there was ONE way to turn my PC on - to plug the 24pin connector into EVGA's diagnostic tool, and then directly into my 24pin connector on the MB, and then hit the power button. Turns on, works fine. I can restart as well and it works well. No error issues of any kind.I can even shut my PC off and hit the power button and it works then.

What in the world is going on here that my power-supply needs a "kick-start" from the diagnostic tool?

Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

So....

This machine will not power up with the original setup (with sata* connected to HDD and sata* connected to optical)? Or with just sata* connected to HDD?

Or this machine ONLY starts now with the tool plugged regardless of connection configuration?

#3 Malfetus

Malfetus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

So....

This machine will not power up with the original setup (with sata* connected to HDD and sata* connected to optical)? Or with just sata* connected to HDD?

Or this machine ONLY starts now with the tool plugged regardless of connection configuration?

The latter; Only starts by plugging the 24pin connector into the detection device provided by Evga and then into the motherboard connection.

My computer time keeps resetting as well, so I'm leaning towards the CMOS is defective. However, would a defective CMOS stop the computer from powering altogether?

My other theory is something related to the power button. 

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

Until CMOS issues are resolved: There really is no point continuing with power troubleshooting.

If CMOS has been reset to default, M/B battery has been changed and time/settings issue still persists: I would suspect fauly mobo or a component there-on.

Please contact M/B vendor for a return.

:)

Maybe someone with more insight can add to this....

Edited by bludgard, 12 July 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#5 blarg214

blarg214

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:01 PM

You could try and replace the CMOS battery as they aren't hard to get, but most likely you will need to RMA that board.  Be careful of auto over clockers as they tend to over volt sometimes. 

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Some of the startup voltages are not getting to the MOBO and returning to the P/S.  Possibly the card has developed or created a bad connection through the MOBO and needs the supplemental input.  Many strange things happen when low voltage panel switches get the wires crossed or a switch fails.

#7 Malfetus

Malfetus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Just a update; Albeit a less interesting one. In terms of the PC powering on (and the theory above sounds correct), I haven't made much progress but to be honest I haven't exactly cared to. This is something I could live with as I don't move my PC often or shut the power supply off completely. I'm also just kind of waiting it out and troubleshooting as I go. 

As I mentioned before, I was having issues with the PC keeping time and another issue arose, the wi-fi kept going limited. I have a external wi-fi adapter I had plugged into a back USB. I switched it to the front USB, and now my PC is keeping time as well as maintaining a stable connection. I haven't tested the powering issue yet but perhaps that was the cause. 

Edited by Malfetus, 15 July 2015 - 06:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users