Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery question 10 convert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Will there be any possibility for a recovery partition, reason is my mini Acer which is my travel buddy.  Though it has never failed me while away, I would like the convenience of a recovery partition.  Recently it had issues I got cranky and did a recovery second in quite s few years, it did it thing only took about 45 minutes.  It relies on a remote cd to use disks, not wanting to go through that hassle on a trip I want to be able to F10 the little bugger.

{Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Basically, you want to replace the Windows X (7, 8 or 8.1) Recovery Partition of your Acer laptop with a custom image of Windows 10?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

That would be good if it is possible.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

It's possible, yes. But it won't be a Recovery Image like the one of your manufacturer.

https://www.winhelp.us/custom-recovery-image-in-windows-8.html

I imagine the process will be the same in Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Acer A0A 150?  I have two of those, great travel machines.  Win10 won't run on them well, though.  The RAM is only 1GB, and the Atom processor is slow.  Great for XP, which is native for those machines, but not for later Windows.

But you should be able to clone it to a stick.  I've yet to try that with the Acers, but when I plugged in a Win7 clone into an XP machine, it created dual-boot.  That's not what you're looking for, but the Acer Recovery partition only has the factory-reset software on it at initial sale.  A clone will preserve that, and you can indeed create a Win10 recovery partition after installation to replace it, but..you wont like how it runs.  You need more RAM and a better processor.

I use Linux sticks on those machines, so I can keep XP and yet travel and surf.  Just buy a Linux Mint 17.1 stick at Amazon, and then plug it into your Acer when it's off.  Hopefully you set the BIOS to search for usb first, and if so, then Linux will boot right up. You'll see on the desktop, 'Install Mint', so go get another stick and put it in one of the other two usb ports, then install to that other stick.  Stick size should be a minimum of 64 GB for happy computing, 128 (really 115) GB better (sticks are $44 at Amazon, Kingston).  Then you'll have modern surfing, Firefox or Chrome or Opera, and keep your XP happy too.

Edited by brainout, 11 July 2015 - 09:18 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

Take a look at Aoemi Onekey. Very easy to create a recovery partition and enabling it at boot with a key press. When you install Windows 7 and everything is set the way you like it the first thing would be to install Aoemi PE and create the recovery partition. I currently have it installed on a HP laptop with Windows 7. The program also lets you update the recovery image.

Edit: But it still doesn't replace a disk image to an external drive that you would need in case the drive fails.

http://www.backup-utility.com/onekey-recovery.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2015 - 09:23 PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

Dynamite John I will try that once it has 10 o it.

My mini has 2g ram and a faily big spinner that I want to clone onto an SSD, I have a few spinners that I will do a clone of the OEM that is on there now.  I am thinking I should do the SSD before I try 10 on it, don't want to run into a hardware change issue.

Edited by OldPhil, 11 July 2015 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users