Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 is the last Windows, but...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

But they will instead just release improvements to it, like OS X.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-confirms-there-will-be-no-windows-11-1293309

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 02 March 2017 - 07:20 PM.
Moved from Win 10 support to Win 10 discussion.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

There's already been a few threads confirming that already here.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

Oh. I didn't see them.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

The most active thread was this one:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/575498/why-microsoft-is-calling-windows-10-the-last-version-of-windows/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

The last reply was in mid-June.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

It doesn't means that the thread is dead. Everyone is free to reply in them and bring it back with more content.

unite_blue.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

The next operating system from Microsoft will not be part of the Windows family.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Windows 10 end of life is Oct 2025. End of Mainstream support is Oct 2020 so some news will break before 2020

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

I suspect when Windows 10 ends, they'll just rename the current build Windows, have it as a rolling release.

Related:

Windows 10 is the last version of Windows
-REF:https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2352/captions?f=webvtt&l=en

A number of reports have suggested that Windows 10 will be the last, while other say that Windows 11 is already is in its planning stage.
-REF:http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/30000/20170213/microsoft-windows-latest-news-11-finally-launched-learn-more-details.htm 

Microsoft is planning to release a new operating system called Windows 11 at the end of this year.
-REF:http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/microsoft-announces-windows-11-its-way-end-2017-a-5551295.html

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,493 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hollowface is correct, I believe.

I also find the Windows life cycle page to be a bit cryptic in this case.  Microsoft has never put a "released in . . ." date on anything that I've noticed before.  That implies to me that this life cycle applies only to the initial build of Windows 10 rather than Windows 10 as a whole.  We shall see, but I eventually think they'll be dropping the "10" part and just becoming Windows.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if between now and 2020 MS doesn't start to lose it's enterprise customers and releases a new Windows that doesn't have all the poison included in the current releases.

We are certainly testing new OS's that we haven't used here. We've even discussed introducing Macs to our network, 3 years ago we would have only claimed that would be possible over our dead bodies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users