Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Packages - purchase & installation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 UppinRunnin

UppinRunnin

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

I don't have AV s/w at this point because it expired. I am confused though because I thought Windows Defender was built-in protection. Windows states I need AV.

But how can it be safe to go online and download a security package, when your system is unprotected? That is the method of sales these days.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

Which OS are you running?

If I were to hazard a guess from the notification then you are probably running Windows 7. The built-in Windows Defender for this OS is only an antispyware and not an antivirus.

Just going to the Internet directly to the vendor's site for downloading an AV should be ok, as long as you do not surf elsewhere to reduce the risk of getting infected.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:36 AM

Hi,
Also which package are you interested in?
Free?
Paid?

Type of devices to be covered:
Only the above mentioned?
Multi device?

Do you want third party firewall or just AV/AM?

No one can assure you are safe without protection software. But managing to go directly into websites (by using their URLs) and not clicking any suspicious ads and links can save you to a large extend from infection.
Also, your router firewall will be there to protect you (in limited ways).
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

You are still receiving assistance with your Windows 7 system in this topic where you posted your logs.

I don't have AV s/w at this point because it expired. I am confused though because I thought Windows Defender was built-in protection.

But how can it be safe to go online and download a security package, when your system is unprotected? That is the method of sales these days. Very confusing.

Since you are now receiving help from the Malware Response Team, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.

Note: If you are talking about a different computer, please send me a PM and I will reopen this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users