Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't connect to network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jasonfodor

jasonfodor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

I re-installed my operating system (windows 8, sony vaio).  After reinstalling the wireless worked and I was updating everything, than after a restart, it says "can't connect to network".

My network is fine (can connect to it on my macbook wireless fine) and on my sony it works with the ethernet, but not working wireless anymore.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 July 2015 - 05:06 PM.
Moved from Win * to 'Networking'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

There are at least a couple of possibilities here.

The first is that the wi-fi unit in your laptop may have just upped and died. This does happen from time to time with laptops and the answer is either replace the unit - if it is plugged, not soldered, onto the motherboard - or use an external USB wi-fi dongle. This is an effective and normally cheaper solution than replacing a plug-in module.

The other obvious possibility is you may have forgotten to tick the 'Connect automatically' box when you connected after the system re-install.

If you bring up 'Charms' and look at wi-fi - do you see any routers, including your own, listed ?  Then try the connect process. If you don't see any routers then try a dongle.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jasonfodor

jasonfodor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

so it works wirelessly at school but not at home.  But at home my wireless works on my macbook but not my sony windows... no idea.

anyways i was able to download some updates while at wireless at school and now it wireless works at home no idea why but it's fixed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users