Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure - Graphic Card or Power Supply?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 plano_harry

plano_harry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

System was running fine, took a power hit and now it won't boot.  On POST, I get a long and 2 short beeps which I understand is a problem with the graphics card.

The old XFX HD-4850 graphics had 2 red LEDs (D1601-overtemp protection enabled, D1602-EXT 12V fault)  The fans all run and everything looks/sounds normal on power on, but the graphics LEDs come on immediately and I get the beep code for the graphics card fault.  Nothing on the monitor.

I tried an external power supply (Antec 430w) but did not see any change.  Will the external supply put out normal voltage if it doesn't sense a motherboard?  No guarantee the Antec power supply is good, just trying to see if my installed OCZ might not be damaged.

Wanted a new graphics card anyway, so I put in a new PNY Geforce GTX 960, but no change.

Any ideas on how to identify the failed component without a spare test system?

Config:

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard, OCZ 500w powersupply

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Harry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

Two possible outcomes from a power hit, surges are supposed to be stopped by the power supply but it can still allow over voltages to the unit before the PS dies.  This can really take out any an all components.  I'd start with the video card as it has to boot first before allowing any display.  The next would  a close inspection of the power traces on the MOBO to the slot(s) used for the video cards.  Burned board connectors for the card slots are suspect too. 

#3 plano_harry

plano_harry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Nothing visible on the front or back of mobo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users