Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting HP Laserjet 4 to a Windows 7 PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

I want to connect my old HP Laserjet 4 to my PC running Windows 7 Pro.  I know that the driver exits, but my question is about the cable.  Clearly the computer end need a USB connection.

HOWEVER, what should be at the other end?  The back of printer has two ports.  One port says SERIAL and has the capactity for a male connector with 25 pins in two rows, one with 12 holes the other with 13 holes.  The other says PARELLEL and has a linear "mortise and tendon" type port - see the attached files.

Which port should I use and is there a name or spec that I can use to identify the cable.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

This is a normal DB25 parallel connector on the PC, the cable ends in a 36 pin centronics connector.   I have given away or donated to e-waste all the ones I had.  Try a flea market or garage sales.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

See this post on connecting a Laserjet 4 via USB. You will need a USB to Centronics adapter and not all adapters work. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users