Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my loopback interface

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 C64Artist

C64Artist

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Okay, so this is more of a minor annoyance than an actual problem, but my loopback interface doesn't seem to be working.  I would like to understand why this is, and maybe figure out how to fix it.  When I ping 127.0.0.1 I get a request timeout message, which means the loopback interface is not responding to echo requests.  What sort of problem would this indicate, and how can I fix it?  When I run ifconfig, it shows that the loopback interface (lo0) is up, so clearly the driver for it is loaded.  I'm using a Macbook connected to the Internet through WiFi, if that's at all relevant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

Can you ping your lan ip address?

Most likely its a software firewall blocking ping or that interface in particular.

#3 C64Artist

C64Artist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

Yes, I can ping the LAN IP address.  There doesn't seem to be a firewall blocking anything, because I've tried it on several different networks and it still doesn't work.  The only firewall that could possibly account for all of those failures is the firewall on my computer, and since I used to be able to ping the loopback interface, and I haven't done anything to change the firewall settings since then, I kind of doubt that it's the firewall.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

Post a screen shot of the ping 127.0.0.1 failure so we can see exactly what you are seeing.

A firewall outside of your pc will have no effect on pinging the loopback ip. Lookback is internal to that machine.

#5 C64Artist

C64Artist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

Actually, it turns out it was the firewall after all.  A couple summers ago I set it to block all incoming connections because I was paranoid about people hacking my computer (long story), and afterward I forgot all about it.  I changed the settings back to what they were and now I am able to ping the loopback interface.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the update.  Glad you figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users