Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.2, Likes, Dislikes and Other Observations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:46 AM

This thread was recommended because a few folks that are running Linux Mint 17.2 have had a few issues that we were discussing in other threads, and we were inadvertently hijacking the course of a couple of other threads. So this thread is designed to be a repository of all of the observations that us Bleeping Computer users might have regarding the functionality of Linux Mint 17.2. Since it has been finalized at the end of June, more and more users are probably installing Mint 17.2 and using it as their primary OS. For me, it is in daily use on my machine although I do dual boot with Windows 10. The only real problems I have see with Mint 17.2 are:

1. Thunderbird mail seemed to be in a constant update mode. It was still functional, I could send and read email, but the little bar at the bottom of the screen was always running and trying to update. That problem seemed to clear up on July 10th with some of the updates.

2. The new problem I have is when I walk up to the computer and wake it up from the sleep mode. Now I have to log in twice every time I want to use the computer. I have my computer set up to go to sleep after 10 minutes of non-activity, and to wake up with either a touch of the keyboard or a movement of the mouse. I had my Linux set up to go straight to the desktop without requiring a log in. Now not only do I have to log in but I have to log in twice. The first time that I log in it goes to the desktop, but about 1 second later it goes back to the log in screen. I hope that they fix this.

On the plus side the new Linux Mint 17.2 has been able to interact with all of my peripheral equipment, both wireless and USB connected. There have been no major hang ups, just the couple of little issues that I have documented. I will post any more observations in this thread as they arise. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

It might be important to note that my above observations are all about the final version of 17.2 Mint Cinnamon, installed on July 2, 2015. I was running an RC before that but I completely reformatted my hard drive and installed the final release version.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:44 AM

I'm on 17.1.  How does .2 differ?  I remember reading the explanation but didn't sound like enough to investigate.  Do you like it better, other than the log in and Thunderbird problems?

Edited by brainout, 11 July 2015 - 07:45 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

Not really that different, really just about the same. I think the differences are mostly hardware related and not something cosmetic that I have noticed. I will report back if I notice any real differences between 17.1 and 17.2.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

For Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon, there is some information regarding what is new, here: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

A Few things:

"Better support for UEFI, NVIDIA and Optimus cards [...] (this is known to fix live boot and graphical issues on many computers)".

"Avatars are now supported for users with encrypted home directories"

"The on-screen keyboard was partly redesigned."

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

Thank you, Rocky.  I like Mint for a lot of reasons, primarily two: 1.  Easy to navigate menus, so I don't have to learn the console. :lmao:

2. Multimedia.  I make a ton of videos and need that.  Being in the US, the codecs can be provided.  Multimedia is better in Mint than any other distro I've found, including the ability to record onscreen videos (with Kazam, my new best friend) on BOTH monitors, if I wanted them.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:34 AM

Have been running Mint 17.2 since a couple of days after it's release, am having no major issues to report, just a minor one.

The calculator in the Start Menu, there are two of them. I fear that if I remove one, both will be gone, so left it as is. Had this been a clean install rather than upgrade, probably wouldn't have happened. Note however, this is a minor con, I don't use it, preferring the online one that shows in Google once I type in 'online calculator'. 

I'm 100% satisfied with the performance of Linux Mint 17.2. MATE, and if weren't, would be honest in saying so, I'm a 6 year Linux Mint user, so I can determine bad from good. Other than a clean install rather than an upgrade one, this should fix most any issues going on. with the OS. Links are available for download.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Backup what you wish to save, including virtual machines, to a folder in an NTFS partition on an external drive & then manually clean install the /home partition, and then transfer the items back, a drag & drop type of backup. Works well for me.

Cat                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users