Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives ~ Annihilate!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

Cleaning house...I've got a couple of hard drives I wish to ditch, annihilate so no one could ever obtain data.

I do not have have access to a triangle of extra strong magnets!

Any "new" approach for guaranteed destruction of an hard drive?

Thanks!  :killcomp:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

Yes, BURN IT! Hammer it, or just swallow it so only your brain can obtain that data! 

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

Ha!!  Swallow it! Ya right..with my petite mouth!

I've always thought it to be true that even burning or using a sledge hammer, there is still data left on the platter? (yep..the delicious part!)

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

Or just drop it into the volcano, or use it as a weapon to whoop zombie butt cheeks. 

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

I use a screwdiver and hammer... Just hammer the driver straight through the casing and destroy the platter inside.

Technically it is possible to put it back together, but extremely costly and unlikely.

Though the reality is that if you just break the control board on the drive (pry it up and bend it over), it puts it beyond the means of most people to retrieve the data.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

How about just formating it and throwing it in the rubbish bin? That's all I would do. However I have never thrown a working drive out. I have a bunch of 20 GiB hard drives here that one day may come in handy.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Quicker to destroy it physically...

Though I'm with you there Nick, I've never thrown out a working drive either.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

I too use the hammer and screwdriver/ice pick/slim punch method, when I feel the need to get my aggression out. When I want to do the least resistance and lazy way. A drill with a medium sized metal cutting drill bit works wonders. Then for giggles about 4 good smacks with a hammer just to 'realign' the platters does the trick. For all but the NSA/GCHQ contingent with unlimited time and resources.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

How about just formating it and throwing it in the rubbish bin?

Yep, far too much paranoia about hard drive erasure. A full format in Windows (Vista or later) writes zeros over the drive. No-one who doesn't have access to a magnetic microscope and endless spare time is going to be able to recover data. However thoroughly smashing it would be quicker...

Edit: and maybe more fun, a la Animal

Edited by Platypus, 10 July 2015 - 10:23 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

Yep, far too much paranoia about hard drive erasure.

Im a Linux  user even if I threw out my old HDD without formatting it, I doubt the average person who found it at the waste transfer station would know how to recover the data, And that's before we take into account the fact I encrypt my hard drives.  Sure they might find the drive and sure they may even be able to decrypt it, But at what cost and how long will that take?

So as not to hijack this thread with drive encryption chit chat 
I have started a poll about drive encryption Here.

Edited by NickAu, 11 July 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

For everybody that destroys their hard drive, remember to remove the rare earth magnets. Those things are super powerful.

I also hate to throw working hard drives away. I still keep two from way back. Not many people remember JTS  but I have an old 1GB drive that is running well. Also have an old Maxtor 2GB drive. 

#12 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

I'm just going to make a funeral for my hard drive, then few days later i just going to drop it into the earth core.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 11 July 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

JohnC said:

For everybody that destroys their hard drive, remember to remove the rare earth magnets. Those things are super powerful.

Amen, Bro!!  I have at least a dozen of those I pulled from old HDDs, and they are great! I am always finding uses for them.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#14 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:35 AM

acee86ac-7329-41c3-a531-6ce10019c22c_zps    You all are Da Bomb!!!

I appreciate all of the above "methods of hdd destruction!"  I'd keep mine too..however I just got out of paranoid jail. My parole officer is coming next week and I promised I'd have the hdd's destroyed (part of recovery!)  Then, off with all of the monitors, mice, ram, keyboards, cables or I'll be a suspect in grand theft! Old cases have been retrofitted for jewelry..safe there!

I'm a hoarder of computer bits..time to ditch and start anew!  

In all honesty, I do believe that the issue of not having any of your person data "stolen" with tossing a hard drive is more than likely over-rated. However, it's really cool to have a mind-set tune up about others thoughts!

(Now I realize my recovery is not going so well, as one hdd was my parents who are deceased!!)

Now then, where are those tools!!!

Thanks!!!

(NickAu..do you serve any Roo in your chit-chat about drive encryption! I'm stopping by!)

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

I love old hard drives.  If it still works, I'll format the platter and find a use for it somewhere.  If it's broke, screw driver in hand, the platters make very nice wind chimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users