Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows crashes when transferring files??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maudlinavis

maudlinavis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

Okay so here's a mystery for everyone. 

I have a Uebo that I have been transferring files to for over a year with no problems. 

I have a 7 year old custom dell (yes i was young and stupid) that I don't remember the specs to anymore. 

I am running windows 7 32bit ultimate.

I have seen other people with the issue about their computer freezing when tranferring files but here's the thing - it just started happening randomly. I havent done anything at all to either the computer or the uebo. So i know its not a "chipset issue" or BIOS problem.... 

Do you guys have any other ideas about what might be causing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

Please provide this information (event though you're not reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

FYI - Windows computers are dynamic systems.  That is, they are in a constant state of change due to the system repairing/modifying itself and through the different updates being applied to the system.  What this means is that the problem could be due to almost anything in the system.  Generally we look for problems in these 3 categories:

- 3rd party (non-Windows) programs (most likely)

- hardware problems

- Windows problems (least likely)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 maudlinavis

maudlinavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Here's the uploads. I'm sorry I forgot I posted here before. :(

OS Windows 10

Original OS Vista

Age of System 7 years

OS Installation ~ 2 weeks ago

windows 7 ultimate was installed within last 2 years before that

cpu intel quad2 q6600

video card amd radeon hd 4670

mobo dell 0fm586

power supply unknown

dell inspiron 530 desktop

Attached Files

Edited by maudlinavis, 28 August 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1.0.18) dates from 2009.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

There's at least one program being blocked on your system due to incompatibility - I have to wonder how many others are installed.

Unfortunately the reports don't name the problem program.

We can start messing around with this, but it can turn into a very long troubleshooting session without any guarantee of success

I'm thinking that this machine may not be suitable for W10, and as such it may be best to revert to W7 (if possible).

Good luck!

If you want to continue messing with it, then let's start with this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

Edited by usasma, 29 August 2015 - 04:32 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 maudlinavis

maudlinavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

If you look at the original post the problem actually started when i was running Windows 7. I hadn't changed anything it just stopped working.... I tried downloading alternate fiel transfer programs such as Unreal Commander but it too freezes when transferring files. Mystery deepens.

Edited by maudlinavis, 07 September 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

Normally I don't go back and review the entire post before replying.  As you can see from my post count, I'm very busy on this forum and I also have a home, family, and a job to keep me busy.

I'm sorry if I didn't notice/comment on that particular bit of information - but please understand that I'm also visually handicapped and do have some problems with reading posts.

Also, regardless of you past problems, it's also entirely possible that incompatibilities w/W10 are preventing or hampering our work on this problem.

And, quite frankly, it would be much simpler to deal with this problem on W7 instead of having to deal with all the potential problems that W10 adds to the mix.

But, this is your system and you are free to do with it what you wish.

I wish you good luck in your further endeavors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users