Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI 980Ti crashing computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HumanMincer

HumanMincer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

hi guys, i have had this current build for 3 years and running an AMD HD7870 without problems. yesterday i bought an MSI GTX 980Ti and now my pc reboots constantly. it reboots when iv played GTAV, furmark testing and its rebooted once when using firefox. i uninstalled all amd drivers, ran Driver Display Uninstaller (drivesweeper) to remove all amd files. i have updated my bios to the latest firmware. my gaming temps are about 75degrees celcius max. it seems to take about 10 mins of gaming for the pc to hard reset. i am not able to test the card in different pci-e slots because of my case (cm storm scout) the card will only fit in the 1st pci-e slot (where the AMD card was), i have also tried different pce-e cables

this is my system

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @4.40GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB

GFX: Nvidia MSI GTX 980 Ti 6GB

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB (OS)

SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250GB (Games)

Audio: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty

PSU: Corsair HX750

really appreciate any help

Edited by HumanMincer, 10 July 2015 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

Questions

Can you explain to us how you update your motherboard bios?

Do you have the latest motherboard drivers?

Do you have the NVIDIA latest graphics driver?

Do you the latest firmware bios on your SSD?

Have you try to reinstall GTA 5 see if it help?

Does GTA 5 only game that cause your PC to reboot?

Can you try to run Unigine heaven benchmark free version from this site(https://unigine.com/products/heaven/) to test your rig probably? Furmark are not recommend for anything that are above GTX 700 series. Unigine Heaven benchmark and 3D Mark 11 are more suitable for testing GPU.

Also, i see you have OC your CPU, can you confirm your CPU is stable? This could be a case that your CPU OC is unstable

I suggest you try to run Prime95 small ftts to see if your CPU is stable, http://www.mersenne.org/download/. Recommend to run at least 30 minutes - 2 hours.

If your PC pass Unigine heaven benchmark, Prime95, and other game did not cause this then i can mark that at a pass. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 10 July 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#3 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

i updated the bios using asus probe but i manually downloaded the latest update

i have the latest motherboard drivers, i updated about 2 weeks ago

i have the latest nvidia drivers, since my old card was amd, i now have version 353.30 that i obtained from the nvidia website

i have the latest ssd firmware

i have not reinstalled gtav, but i deleted the settings folder, verified the cache

gtav is the only game thats caused the crash, but its the only game i have tried to alot of. kombustor and furmark also crash my pc.

i will give uningine heaven a try.

i can confirm my cpu oc is stable, i clocked it to 4.4 when i built it 3 years ago, and i used prime95 and intel burn test to check.

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

Do you save the bios file onto your USB stick, and then reboot to motherboard bios to use ASUS bios utility?
Have you reset your oc settings when you updating your motherboard bios?

#5 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Its all done within windows, reboots and updates in dos.

My cpu was OCd then the card was failing, so i updated the bios. I was quick to overclock again. When i get home ill drop back to stock speed

#6 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

"My cpu was OCd then the card was failing, so i updated the bios"

This is a big no no no, what i want you do is reflash your bios and then test your system with a STOCK CLOCK CPU.

Go to your montherboard manufacturer, and download the Bios

Next, connect your USB stick to your computer

Third, copy the bios file to your USB stick

Fourth, reboot your PC to the bios

Once in your bios, reset EVERYTHING TO DEFAULT. Make sure your restart your PC

Filth, update the bios using your motheboard bios utility built into your BIOS.

If it still crash on GTX 980TI setup, but not on your 7870 then i would suggest you to RMA it if you still have the warranty of it. 

#7 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

V6eYSLJ.png

that was everything set to extreme, environment/tessellation maxed out.

ill try a few other things to test, and ill test a few games and leave feedback afterwards.

but if it is fixed, what do you think the cause was exactly? my OC has been stable for years, but a newer, much more powerful video card needs a few more volts to the cpu?

obviously id slowly work/test in increments to re-OC

#8 HumanMincer

HumanMincer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:33 AM

crashed running furmark and gtav

Edited by HumanMincer, 11 July 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#9 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

but if it is fixed, what do you think the cause was exactly? my OC has been stable for years, but a newer, much more powerful video card needs a few more volts to the cpu?

obviously id slowly work/test in increments to re-OC

Furmark are not recommend for testing GTX 900 series like the one you have and well you see, overclocked CPU can decrease the life span of it because you are adding more work into the die and increase more voltage that Intel prohibited any consumer to do it, but if you are doing it you will responsible for any risk you made. For instance, i7-2600k design to runs at 7 years maximum but if you OC it, you are probably looking around 4 - 5 years or less. I see some people get their i7 - 2600k at 5.0GHz overclocked, and their CPU die withing 3 - 4 years.

If your PC can runs other games fine on Radeon HD 7870 or GTX 980TI then i can tell it's probably your CPU OC.

Here is some couple of FREE games i suggest to test your rig

Planetside2, Warframe, War thunder,Battlefield 4( this is a paid game), and World of Tanks.

These games will push your GPU into 100%, and planetside 2 will push your CPU and GPU to max load.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 11 July 2015 - 05:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users