Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Download and open in word or notepad but I dont want that!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hi

I'm using windows 8 and hating every last bit about it, but the thing I'm having a problem with is, when I download a game mod file (SCS) it downloads/opens with notepad and will not stay in its original state, I never have asked it to be opened in anything such as notepad or word and the issue being that when the file is added to my particular game, it won't work, on my other pc it is downloading the SCS file and not trying to alter anything and will stay as it is when downloaded, but this pc with win 8 on it is driving me nuts!! :ranting: Just so you know, I don't edit any of these files so you can rule that out.

So what I was wanting to know is there any way I can stop this pc changing all my downloaded files and converting them to view in notepad?

Many thanks if you can shed some light on this and hope it makes sense :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

See this post. You can also download FileTypesMan. Run the program and scroll through the list for any SCS files. Then delete the association.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

What browser are you using and what are your download settings ?

Internet Explorer gives you three choices when you go to download a file - 'Open', 'Save' and 'Cancel'. Firefox gives just two - 'Save' or 'Cancel' - and I think it is the same for Chrome. The default 'Save' location for all of them is your downloads folder, although you can change this.

You should choose 'Save' when downloading files like this, if you choose 'Open' IE will open the file in whatever it thinks is the appropriate application. If these files are similar to the config (.CFG) files I am used to in simulators they are mainly text files so notepad  is the obvious choice to open them with.

Once you have saved them to your downloads folder (or wherever) then you can do what you want with them.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

Thank you very much for your help, JohnC_21 that worked a treat, everything is back to normal :bananas:

Chris, I always save my downloads to either desktop or Doc folder but it always saved as a notepad file, the only problem was when I dropped it into the game the mod wouldn't show, but now I've sorted it out the files work as they should, thank you for your help though   :thumbsup:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update. May I ask which of the two links I posted worked for you? Did you create a dummy file or use FileTypesMan?

#6 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

I used FileTypesMan and it worked a treat, many thanks again for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users