Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm looking for some help finding out what happened

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grecoc38

Grecoc38

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

So I was browsing files on my computer, cleaning up things I didn't need/use anymore. I got to a ".rar" file. in an "Appdata" folder.. it was for a program I had uninstalled a few days prior, I right clicked and hit "delete" I decided to double check to make sure it wasn't anything I might need so I restored it. and opened it to see what was inside, and it was an ".exe" file for the program I had uninstalled, so I said "okay I can delete it" so I closed the .rar file and went to the file location where it was to delete it... but... it was gone.

The .rar file had disappeared completely. I tried searching for it using the windows explorer, tried searching by name, and it didn't show up, I even tried searching for the .exe file inside it thinking maybe I extracted it by mistake.. but nothing, that's gone too.. I'm a little creeped out by this, does anyone know what happened and should I be worried...

Also I should add that the .rar file seemed a bit.. odd. When I right clicked and hit properties where it says "Type of file" Instead of saying WinRAR archive (.rar) like every other .rar file, it said something like that but had some jumbled up letters and symbols in it I forget exactly what it said..

It looked sorta like "Win&38 archive" something like that.

Any ideas what could've happened. This is so weird. 

:smash:  :killcomp:

Edited by Grecoc38, 10 July 2015 - 03:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

I download a lot of rar files that  I use with Gimp. It has happened many times, to me where the file disappeared

I would suggest scanning your system with your anti malware/virus just to be safe

#3 Grecoc38

Grecoc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

I download a lot of rar files that  I use with Gimp. It has happened many times, to me where the file disappeared

I would suggest scanning your system with your anti malware/virus just to be safe

I know they sometimes disappear when they get extracted, but I didn't even extract the file, I just closed it and it was gone, has that ever happened to you?

And yeah I'm running a scan right now. 

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

Yes

I hate rar files, I prefer zip. Anyway yes I have had that happen and you shouldn't be to worried

I am not an expert on rar files but it could have just been a remnant of something you deleted a long time ago

If its something malicious,Your scans should pick it up

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Maybe the antivirus software quarantine the Winrar archive.

Posted Image

#6 Grecoc38

Grecoc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

Maybe the antivirus software quarantine the Winrar archive.

Mm I'm not sure what that means, I checked McAfee's quarantine folder, there was nothing in it.

I should mention the program I uninstalled that the file belongs too, is "Spybot anti maleware 1.6" the ".rar" file was named teatimer.rar and inside it was teatimer.exe 

I actually wanted to test it, so I reinstalled the program and there was no ".rar" file with that name installed to be found, and uninstalled spybot again and checked to see if maybe it would appear after uninstalling it, and there is nothing there with that name maybe something went wrong during the  uninstall the first time and the .rar file was bad or corrupted? 

Edited by Grecoc38, 10 July 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

If you thing your computer is infected by malware ask for checkup at the Am I infected? What do I do?  forum.

Posted Image

#8 Grecoc38

Grecoc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

If you thing your computer is infected by malware ask for checkup at the Am I infected? What do I do?  forum.

I ran a malware scan and a AV scan. Both came back clean

I think something just glitched out. 

Norseman143

Report similar happenings. 

Edited by Grecoc38, 10 July 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

Greco

I really dont think you have anything to worry about. But I think its great that you even noticed

By noticing the small things and keeping an on anything strange, is a good way of keeping your PC Virus/Malware free.

Good for you :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users