Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Fast Do You Type - 10FastFingers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

I couldn't find a "how fast do you type" nor a "10fastfingers" thread on BleepingComputer and since pretty much every forums have one, I decided to create it! Basically, you can take a test on this website to see how fast you type. You have to type the words displayed but they aren't put in sentences or anything so you have to quickly adapt your position on every new word. This can affect your real typing speed at the end, but if you type fast enough it shouldn't be far away from the truth.

You can take the test on 10FastFingers.com, and once done, use the Forum link after (at the bottom of the page) to share your results. I'll start!

typing-test_1_DB.png
1_105_529_0_0_104_1_98.55_2131_147168.pn

I've had better :P

Edited by Aura., 10 July 2015 - 02:58 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snwy

snwy

• Members
  • 0 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

English at 130 (2nd language), Finnish at 115 (native language), and Romanian (which I don't speak) at about 85 WPM. Don't have a badge, but it's in my profile: http://10fastfingers.com/user/874789/. My aim is, when I get the time, to have Romanian above 100 WPM. I like the words in that language, no special characters and still kinda novel key combinations compared to English.

As a bit of an ad, I made a program - initially for myself - specifically for the purpose of getting a better 10FF score, by having more info than 10FF does on which words or keys are most slowing me down. I made the program available as a free download as well, so test it out and see if it makes a difference. The newest version is for Linux only, but a Windows version is doable if there's interest. As I say, this is a bit of an ad, but the program is free and I gain nothing by providing it.

#3 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

:mellow: how on earth do you type so fast aura??!!!

I got 60 words per minute and 250 keystrokes...while having 4 wrong lol

they call me te java mayster

#4 snwy

snwy

• Members
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

No big secret to typing fast. Keep typing the same words (key combinations) over and over and you'll have them in muscle memory for faster execution. People who type 100+ WPM will invariably type slower in a language they're not familiar with, which would indicate it's to a degree muscle memory for specific key combinations or words rather than a specific technique, assuming you're making decent use of your eight fingers already.

Edited by snwy, 14 July 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

I'm more familiar with French than English (since it's my native language), but I type way faster in English than I do in French. Reason is that in French you have all these accents, apostrophes and all which slows you down a lot when it comes to speed typing.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 snwy

snwy

• Members
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

Take a language like Romanian, though, with the same characters as you find in English, and which as a language is related to French, and see how fast you can type it. If you get 100+ WPM, you've got a technique going, and if not, you've got better muscle memory for English. That's my theory, anyway.

Incidentally, my only mechanical keyboard has the French layout.

#7 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

I took the typing test again and.... i got 87 words per minute!!! 2 wrong though, i'm much better at knowing what I type as I don't have to keep looking up at the screen to see what I have to type

#8 snwy

snwy

• Members
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

For optimal speed, you probably want to memorize the finger/key placements so you don't have to look away from the screen at all. What I find as well is that while typing the current word, I'm reading the next one, and when I start typing that one, I'm already reading the one after it.

Edited by snwy, 14 July 2015 - 11:04 PM.

#9 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

how do i insert the image without the speed blanking out on me aura?

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 14 July 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#10 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

badge_base_7.png

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 14 July 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#11 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:26 PM

anyway my WPM was 248 not joking...Got image to prove it but blanks out on me

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 14 July 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#12 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

here is a new record made by me http://10fastfingers.com/share-badge/1_LH

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

It says for me that you have a 0 WPM score.

unite_blue.png

#14 snwy

snwy

• Members
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

248 WPM is a good start. Try the program I linked to earlier and maybe get it up to 300 WPM, who knows. Mine went from 120 to 130 WPM just testing the program for release over some weeks.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

I doubt anyone here have a WPM of over 200 to be honest. This is just plainly crazy.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users