Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Network path not found. System Error 6118

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Don02

Don02

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Network problems on my Dell notebook pc (running Win XP SP3) started in April and were first noted on 4/27/15.

The pc is used on two LANs, both are peer to peer networks containing Win XP pc’s. One of these LANs has a Win7 PC.

My pc cannot browse the Windows Network beyond seeing the name of its workgroup.

At the run command, opening shared folders on other pc’s (like \\server1\d) fails.

Error: “The network path was not found.”.

To access files on other pc’s on the LAN, the workaround is to “map network drive” using the server’s IP address and the share name.  This works.

My pc’s print jobs sometimes get lost, especially from adobe reader X.  When this happens, status information in Windows Printers indicates that some Data was transferred.  After a few minutes, an error is reported - job ‘did not print’.

My pc sometimes interferes with network activities of other pc’s, e.g. print jobs from those pc’s may be lost.  It is necessary for me to delete the failed job from my pc’s print queue.

My pc cannot open certain databases served on other pc’s.  I suspect this is related to server name problem, but the mapped drive workaround does not cure this problem.

Troubleshooting in windows:

The “net view” command fails with error:

System error 6118 has occurred.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

(The only time Net View succeeded was on a network containing two pc’s and my pc booted first.)

Sometimes the net view command fails on another pc on the network when my pc is on that LAN.

My pc is not visible to the net view command run on another pc, nor is it listed as a client on the router.

Online information found for error 6118 suggests that there is a possible conflict with the “Master Browser”.  But I don’t know how to proceed.

One day in May we shut down all pc’s on lan. reboot router. started one pc at a time. This identified my pc as the likely cause of network problems. This reboot seemed to eliminate the problem for other pc’s, where they were sometimes unable to browse the network properly.

Other info

My pc has been protected by MBAM since the beginning. 

I first sought advice from spywareinfoforum.com, completed some testing with modest fixes.  I think no malware problems were found. They referred me here.

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2015 - 10:38 AM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users