Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RESERVE Yes or No?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

At present I plan on waiting at least a little while after the release, hoping to avoid any possible initial glitches.  Though they are probably gone by now due to the help of so many testers.  Now what would be the pluses and minuses of not reserving.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

I reserved my copy and I'll upgrade as soon as Windows 10 gets released. If I experience any bugs/issues, I'll know how to face them and I'll be able to offer support on the forums for the users that encounters them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Con not reserving: you have to wait longer, and you might not be able to have a download version.  The reservists will get their copy downloaded after the Insiders do.  The latter, get it first, so if you become an Insider, then you'll have it downloaded but still won't have to deploy it right away.  It will be encrypted.  I hope to find out what the file is (have Win10 installed as preview, now in 'fast ring'), then I will burn it to DVD.  Should then function like an install disk, which is an important step to have reinstallation when Win10 tanks (as it will, all Windows iterations have BSOD errors in their lifetimes).  See, the point is, if you just 'Get Windows 10' you might not get the opportunity to have a separate full iso version.  So how will you create a good reinstallation disk?  This is (as usual, unfortunately) a serious flaw with the installation system.  They should FIRST create  reinstallation media, prior to actually installing.  Many folks hope they will provide one DURING installation, but no one knows yet if MSFT will.

Pro not reserving: maybe they will do an iso you can later download.  At your will.  So now, I just contradicted myself.  :bounce:

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

I'm pretty sure insiders that reserve their copy will have it before anyone else.

See, the point is, if you just 'Get Windows 10' you might not get the opportunity to have a separate full iso version. So how will you create a good reinstallation disk?

Pretty sure Microsoft will put a Windows 10 .iso in free download on their website, or a media creation tool like they did for Windows 8/8.1. I wouldn't worry about that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

I have at last got the W10 upgrade icon/app following the welcome update yesterday (10 July).  Now the issue for me and others with 'small devices' (nothing like the 16 GB free officially required) is should we try to reserve or not? If I understand correctly the detailed compatibility appraiser is only available after you reserve, which seems to be cart before the horse.  There is a very basic initial scan available '(Check your PC') which just tells you if you have 3 of the necessary hardware requirements plus 'Data and files ready'  (meaning what exactly?)

I would like to know if my Tablet really is going to be OK for the upgrade and whether it will be by the update route or the ISO / clean install route, but I dont intend to do it for a couple of months anyway, just on the grounds of prudence.

clayto

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

There is a very basic initial scan available '(Check your PC') which just tells you if you have 3 of the necessary hardware requirements plus 'Data and files ready' (meaning what exactly?)

I don't know how it works on tablets, but on laptops and desktop computers the "Check your PC" features verify your programs and device drivers and reports to you if there's any of them that are incompatible or that requires attention. If all of them pass the test, your device is fully ready to be upgraded to Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#7 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hi

I seem to have misunderstood about the Compatibility Check, first because of the paucity of information I received when I clicked on Check your PC (compared to detailed information I got with Compatibility Check for W8.1) and secondly because of the failure to flag up issues which I know do apply to my Tablet; namely (1) the severe shortage of free storage space, well below 16 GB (2) the maximum display resolution, which is below what has been stated as required (I suspect this will just limit the extent to which Snap will be implemented?). Also there was no mention of Gadgets being incompatible (I understand they will be removed).  With the W8.1 Check I got a long list of software positively shown as OK, and both the display issue was identified, with advice (impossible to implement) and Gadgets were listed as problems.

Following the links provided took me to pages of info, none of it relevant to my concerns.  I found a 'scan your PC'  button on a supposedly W10 compatibility page which took me to a page where I could check if my W8.1 is compatible with W8.1!  Not a lot of use.

I dont know whether to be concerned about the lack of information, or pleased at the absence of negative results. Does the absence of detail really mean 'my device is fully ready'?  What will happen if I try to install W10 on a PC with inadequate free storage?

clayto

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:51 PM

Well, presuming a tablet works like a PC if it can potentially take Win10 -- clone it.  Or at least, do an image of the whole inner drive. That way, you can simply clone back if Win10 won't work.

To be honest, those Advisors are kinda lame.  Well, 'vague' would be a more charitable adjective.  I tested my machines for 8.0 and machines I KNEW weren't compatible, showed up okay by the Advisor.  Software I KNEW I could install on 8 (and now have or will) was nixed by the Advisor.

See, what they are trying to tell you is what will botch the install, not what will work with your machine.  The specs are 1 GB of RAM or more, yes 16 GB free space or more (which sounds like your concern), Celeron or better (but it needs to be better, Celeron will walk, not run that OS), and the attributes PAE, SSE2, and NX (sp? sounds so much like an actuarial term, I might misremember it).  If you download CPU-Z (and be sure to watch the installation as they try to add junkware alongside now), it will list those BIOS attributes, if you have them.  But what kind of tablet do you have?  Sounds like it runs Win7.  If it can run Win7, it can probably run Win10..?

Sorry, that's all I can say that I know.

Edited by brainout, 12 July 2015 - 10:52 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#9 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

Hello brainout.  Thanks for the response, it is helpful.

My Quantum View Tablet is a Windows 8.1 with Bing, less than a year old so I knew it was basically OK except for the storage, but I am uncertain if there is some issue lurking around. I am a worrier. Some people have been caught out by unexpected incompatibilities. The Tablet is a 10.1 and in fact what is called a hybrid or 2-in-1. I believe that technically despite the small HD it is not classed as 'a small device' which is something 8 inches and under.

I use it with a keyboard (doubles as a case) and mouse, and only occasionally use Touch (came in handy once).  I have been very pleased with it and with W8.1, though I can see why more demanding users might not like it. I have a XP Laptop too. Most of the shortcomings of W8.1 seem to me to be well dealt with in W10.

I will have a look at CPU-Z

clayto

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:34 AM

'brainout',

Your entries are such a ray of sunshine.  Certainly, generates huge excitement & enthusiastic anticipation in anyone reading, especially, those not quite as familiar w/ Windows 10 as some of us. (<--- smidge of facetiousness)  Good thing to already have some good feeling for Win10 before reading some things sometimes... @ least, it is not lessening the positive feelings I have developed following 10 months of using & testing Windows 10; just become more keen by the day... can't help it.  The darn thing is just that nice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clay, YES, in Windows 10 all the things some people did not like about 8.1 are gone.  Frankly 10 is an easy joy to use & easily MOST people will enjoy using it.  This is going to be well received & hugely popular w/ both Consumers & Enterprise.

It is seeming quite tough to find any software or hardware that Win10 does not like.  Generally, it appears to play very well w/ (most all) others.  Nor does it appear to be very resource demanding.  Heaps of reports of it running nicely on old(er), not very robust gear.

I am anxious for the 29th.  Will be great to know it's finally, 'the real thing' I have and no longer working w/ Betas.  And considering the experience w/ late numbered Beta Builds, if the GA can be even better then, bring it on, Baby!

Not only YES, I Reserved but, I strongly & highly recommend the same to anyone who is lucky enough to be eligible to have the free Upgrade opportunity @ their feet.  Don't pass it up!

And your Tablet w/ do fine w/ Windows 10 & 10 will do fine on your Tablet... clever chameleon that it is.

If going the free route, cannot do a Custom install w/ the ISO w/out doing the Upgrade install FIRST on the same machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If nothing else, Reserving is smart because one does not have to worry about being a victim of long DL times due to stressed servers trying to cope w/ demand... although, much of that may be avoided since 10 will go out Globally in 'waves' to better deal w/ the simultaneous similar requests coming from across the World.  By virtue of Reserving, it's just nice peace of mind knowing the DL will come, pronto & w/out having to give it any further thought or lift a finger.

Edited by Drew1903, 13 July 2015 - 03:17 AM.

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hello brainout.  Thanks for the response, it is helpful.

My Quantum View Tablet is a Windows 8.1 with Bing, less than a year old so I knew it was basically OK except for the storage, but I am uncertain if there is some issue lurking around. I am a worrier. Some people have been caught out by unexpected incompatibilities. The Tablet is a 10.1 and in fact what is called a hybrid or 2-in-1. I believe that technically despite the small HD it is not classed as 'a small device' which is something 8 inches and under.

I use it with a keyboard (doubles as a case) and mouse, and only occasionally use Touch (came in handy once).  I have been very pleased with it and with W8.1, though I can see why more demanding users might not like it. I have a XP Laptop too. Most of the shortcomings of W8.1 seem to me to be well dealt with in W10.

I will have a look at CPU-Z

clayto

Oh, okay, but you have until 2023, and the issues you mention are valid.  Wait a bit, see if others with your tablet have the same problems.  Besides, given the issue maybe a new and bigger HD will become available, you know how fast tech moves, these days.

Win10 will be a bit unsettling to you versus 8.1.  It might work better for touch, which would make that a must-have reason for upgrading.  Can't hurt to wait a few months and see what other tablet users claim.  There are no keyboard and mouse problems.  But then, I didn't find any such problems in 8.0 or 8.1, either.

Yours truly will take the Insider 64-bit RTM on the 29th.  If as Aura hopes there will be a separate iso, then I'll grab one more but in 32-bit, maybe one more in 64-bit.  The Insider copy was to see what Win10 would be like.  The others will also stay in storage until the year almost ends, maybe Win10 will be better by then.  Since I can't customize its fonts and can't get rid of the ads, then I can't use it.  Will make live demo Win10 videos on both topics in vimeo, later on in the year.

The one place Win10 or 8 makes immediate sense, is on a tablet.

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

I want to repeat a post I made in another thread. If a person is in the middle of an important school or work project and it is your personal computer, I would not do an OS upgrade until your project is finished. If you do decide to upgrade at least make a full disk image using the Windows 7 system imager or third party imager like Macrium Reflect free or Aoemi Backupper Standard which is also free. You should also create a bootable disk. For Windows 7 it would be the System Repair Disk. Macrium and Aoemi give the option to create WinPE bootable disks that will let you restore your image if by chance the upgrade goes bad however small that is. Always pays to be prepared.

In fact, doing a regular disk image should be everyone's standard practice. If you become infected with malware that renders your computer unbootable or your disk fails you can recover your disk image with the bootable disk and be back up in minutes instead of hours.

#13 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

Helpful and interesting posts, good advice and encouraging. Despite my eagerness I have always intended to wait a couple of months or so to see how others get on, and to see what my favourite magazine, Computer Active (fortnightly) reports and advises.

While I do not have the benefit of a preview copy of W10 I have watched some YouTube videos which more or less show it in action on my 10 inch screen ----- it looks very good to me. It seems to be made for my hybrid / 2-in-one Tablet.

One point I would welcome explanation of:  'If going the free route, cannot do a Custom install w/ the ISO w/out doing the Upgrade install FIRST on the same machine.'  I have come across this before and really dont understand it. How do you do an upgrade first if you need to use ISO in order to do an upgrade / clean install in the first place?  And how does this help with the problem of insufficient free storage space, as I have been advised?  Help to understand this in none techie language would be much appreciated.

clayto

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

Clayto, Win10 is a progressive download.  There was an initial iso for the Preview, we all downloaded it, but when the RTM comes, it will come as an encrypted download directly on the machine, not a separate iso you can go to.  Now, Aura suspects that later on, you will be able to go to download that. But as is, the Win10 process itself coming to your machine, just like Windows Updates.

Think of this analogy.  You can go to takeaway (takeout, in American slang), or you can have the meal delivered to you as table d'hote (meal of the day, picked by the food service firm).  If the meal is delivered, it's already boxed by the delivery service's terms, comes when the service comes, a kind of preset; you wait for it.  Conversely, at least here in the States, if I go to get food, I get to pick it from a menu, and I get to pick up some other stuff at the site. The 'iso' is the whole menu, not tailored.  The food delivery service, is a tailored preset.

So it's a matter of completeness.  The download coming to you, has a file and a name, but .. what?  By contrast, a public iso is at one address you go to when you want.

Not sure all of what I've typed here is wholly accurate, but someone will correct me if I err. :)

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Now, Aura suspects that later on, you will be able to go to download that.

Well if they did it for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for Windows 10. Plus it's expected that some users will opt for a clean installation so they'll need an .iso.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users