Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How Often Does Linux Mint Put Out Point Releases?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:11 AM

How often do the Linux Mint devs put out point releases. For example 17.2 has just been released. I tried googling it, but can't seem to find any kind of release schedule, only records of what has been released over the years (eg: the list on Wikipedi). Is it just random? I'm assuming it somewhat coincides with Ubuntu's point releases?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:20 AM

I don't know ,but don't install 17.2 It is very unstable- it locked up on me several times before I took it off my computer!

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

I have been running Linux Mint 17.2 for a few weeks and I think that it is a nice, stable OS. No problems what so ever.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

There is one slight problem with Mint 17.2, but it is so slight as to be non-obtrusive. My Thunderbird email program always seems to be updating while I have the program open; the little green bar on the bottom of the page always seems to be moving as if the program is updating. This has not effected the functionality of Thunderbird at all, I can send and receive emails just like always. It just seems as if the program always has some updating to perform. No big deal.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

@paul88ks @Rocky Bennett

I've no plan to upgrade from 17.1 to 17.2. I suppose I might end up getting 17.2 for Reveal development down the road. Aren't you guys both running the 17.2 RC version? The finished version is out now, it's probably more stable.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

I am running the final version of 17.2. I had origiinally installed the RC version but at the beginning of July I deleted that and installed the final version. Today there were multiple updates (about 14) which cleared up my Thunderbird problems but now it has created a log in problem. Everytime I fire up my computer I have to log into Linux twice now, before I didn't have to log in at all because that is how I set it up. Now I have to log in, the screen goes to my desktop, then goes back to the log in. I hope that they fix this soon.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Talk about a premature release, why do this?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

I'm assuming it somewhat coincides with Ubuntu's point releases?

Not so, friend. Clem Lefebvre indicated over 12 months ago his intentions to part ways with following Ubuntu's release schedule.

An article at Ars Technica here, says in part (following the release of 17.1 Rebecca):

This marks the first time Linux Mint has not used the newest version of Ubuntu for a release. But if you paid attention to the curious approach of Linux Mint 17.0, you'll know that was the plan all along. These days, Mint will not be changing its Ubuntu base again until the next LTS release—Ubuntu 16.04—arrives in 2016

Also, this article at The Register, dated 1st July just passed, in part:

Sticking with the Ubuntu 14.04 base has given Linux Mint developers the opportunity to focus their time and effort on the aspects of Mint that make it unique. Much of that focus has been on the project's two desktops, Cinnamon and MATE. Indeed it's the updates to both desktops that make Linux Mint 17.2 well worth the upgrade.

Mint seems to be one of the few distros to have taken the idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to heart, with the result that it’s fast becoming one of the most popular distros.

The above articles were referenced, respectively, using the search keywords:

clem lefebvre mint releases ubuntu

and

mint 17.2 ubuntu release

... Ya gotta love search engines!

:wizardball: Wiz

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Maybe that was the problem- I was running the RC and not the final version. I will give it a go again on another drive- maybe even a flash drive!

As for Thunderbird,it does the same thing for me even in Windows- I don't know what that is all about!

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:52 AM

@paul88ks @Rocky Bennett

Rocky first - are you running any software such as Timeshift, that will allow you to reinstate a working system from a Restore Point?

Paul, Thunderbird has got me curious.

1. Newbie Says:
    June 17th, 2015 at 8:19 pm

“New instalation LM 17.2 with Cinnamon, but no start Firefox ant Thunerbird. (Glib error) What fixed?”

“Edit by Clem: Hi, did you perform level 4 or 5 updates? If so, which ones”

Hi Clem,
    Yes I test again and Firefox and Thunderbird worked perfectly without marked update nr.5 – Linux Kernel Headers for development 3.13.0-55.92

Thanks Josef

Edit by Clem: Thanks, there seems to be a real problem with that update, and it seems to happen randomly as well. We’ll try to find/fix the cause.

... is a reference to The Bird featuring Clem's input. Source is http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2855  - search reference was mint 17.2 thunderbird

Might be worth starting a new topic fellows? Bugs with 17.2

Like the new avatar, Paul, and Rocky we are contemporaries, I am 27 September 57, and also like computers, music and old Fords,lol

:wizardball: Wizard

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

Paul, Thunderbird has got me curious.

Wiz-I've used thunderbird as my default mail client for years,and LOVE it.I was thrilled when I found out it worked on Linux as well.Some people prefer web-based email,but I have several different accounts and Thunderbird brings them all together for me - easy to set-up too!

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

Please stay on topic, How Often Does Linux Mint Put Out Point Releases?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

How often do the Linux Mint devs put out point releases. For example 17.2 has just been released. I tried googling it, but can't seem to find any kind of release schedule, only records of what has been released over the years (eg: the list on Wikipedi). Is it just random? I'm assuming it somewhat coincides with Ubuntu's point releases?

hollowface, the main versions of Linux Mint are based on the current Ubuntu LTS release, currently 14.04. 

About three months after Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is released, we'll have Linux Mint 18. 

The reason why Mint went on this schedule, was so that the Mint devs didn't have to depend on every Ubuntu release for upgrades. Plus this allows them to perform these other releases (.1, .2) on their timeframe, of which there is none published, only when they're ready to introduce a new one. So far, Linux Mint 17 users has had three releases from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS & chances there will be a 3rd & maybe 4th point release before Ubuntu 16.04 is here. 

While this may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, that's the way the Mint team is. They're not going to be rushed as in the past, upgrading with every Ubuntu release, and the result is a better product, in my opinion, keeping in mind that not everyone will agree with that. 

Hope this helps! :)

Cat. 

Edited by cat1092, 12 July 2015 - 01:25 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

this allows them to perform these other releases (.1, .2) on their timeframe, of which there is none published, only when they're ready to introduce a new one.

Okay, so there are no set dates, they just make a point release when they have enough stuff to make it worth doing one. That's exactly what I wanted to know. :)

#15 russ0408

russ0408

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

I heard the next update for Linux Mint 17.2 is 2019.

Edited by russ0408, 14 July 2015 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users