Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Notebook PC can't be locked or shut down!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 29pens

29pens

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

A few months ago I bought a used HP notebook which has been wonderful until now. But today something really unusual happened: I tried to lock the laptop as I usually do, only this time nothing happened. The screen just stayed there as if I hadn't commanded it to lock.

I tried putting it to sleep but to no avail. Then I tried hibernation and the screen did turn dark, but when woken up, the screen right away reappeared, unlocked.

Finally I decided to just shut it down and restart because that can take care of quite a few problems. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I can't even do that!

Now I can only think of two things, either unplug it and wait until the batterie is drained (not appealing at all  but quicK) or do a system restore.

What makes me nervous is that this might perhaps be a virus?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

Hi and welcome 29pens, 

Before you do anything, make sure you've backed up your important data on an external drive or on another PC. Can you please tell me what is the Windows you're using and have you checked the computer with a reliable antivirus software? There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the shutdown issue. You may want to access the Task Manager, by Right Clicking on the Status Bar on the bottom of your screen.  Then Left Click on the Task Manager. 
Click on "Applications", highlight -all- the active items listed, and click "End Task". 
Wait for the process to finish, and click "End Task" on any warning windows that come up. 
When the Applications section is empty, click on EXIT. 

I would also suggest that you perform clean boot and check. Take a look at this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

You can also try the simple method of holding the power button for 5 seconds, this should shut it down. Restart and see if the problems still there.  

I will be waiting for your response, best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 29pens

29pens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

Citizen, thanks very much for your reply. I am running Windows 7 home edition, 64-bit. I will do the things you suggest, but I admit I haven't used the forced shutdown because I am afraid I might have a virus and will experience the reverse problem of not being able to get back in once it's closed down. What if it refuses to accept my password? I don't know how crazy things can get and I don't want to take any chances.

Every night Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium does a scan, and I have the free Panda Antivirus. I feel I am pretty well protected, but who knows...

#4 29pens

29pens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

After looking at the link you provide about doing a clean boot - it requires that I restart the computer which I can't do right now, so I guess that option is out.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

See if you can get the computer to restart doing the following. As Citizen_WD posted you can also force a shutdown by holding the power button down until shutoff

Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator and type

shutdown /r   <enter>

This will force a shutdown and reboot the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 July 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#6 29pens

29pens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Right. But as I already stated, I am reluctant to do this right now because I don't know yet what is causing this. If it's a virus it could lock me out, right? I think I'd do a system restore before I would force shut it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users