Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Build! Help me make sure I get it right! Gigabyte 970a/Gtx750/FX4350/8GB/

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:19 PM

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I've played around with upgrading parts on other computers before and have been successful, but I have never built on from the ground up. I know it will take a lot of your time to sort through these links, but I assure you it is very appreciated, and will put my mind at ease. It will make that checkout button alot easier to push.

So, here is the basics, and I'll include a link to every part below. I would please like you to mention any incompatibilities, similar products for cheaper prices, anything else I should do to make my computer better, anything that I can do to save money, or at least just tell me it will work. Hearing second opinions from people who have experience in the category is really amazing to me right now, and will help me so much.

COUGAR MX200 Black ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553018

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128627

MSI N750-1GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127788

EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015

Patriot Blaze PB120GS25SSDR 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220894

AMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad-Core 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 125W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416806

Rosewill RNX-N150PCx, Wireless N150 Wi-Fi Adapter, IEEE 802.11b/11g/11n
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166060

XION AXP Alphawing AXP-GF120_WT 120mm Case cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835264003

8" Molex Y Splitter Power Cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198025

I know that is very time consuming. Thank you Thank you Thank you :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

You can try to visit pcpartpicker.com to help you eliminate incompatible parts, total watts consume, total price build, multiple prices from multiple online stores, and users rating.

#3 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the tip. I put all the parts into pcpartpicker and it flags 1 issue:

"Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs."

Does this mean I will need to install a different cpu to update the BIOS to accept the Vishera FX4350?

"Prior to using" is the part that is scaring me. Prior to using it at all, or prior to using it like I want to.

Any advice?

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:12 AM

Your motherboard current bios is not support Vishera CPUs, therefore you need to have a compatible CPU to update the bios to the latest version so you can run Vishera CPU. Also, can you give me pcpartpicker link of your build as well?.

#5 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:15 AM

So much for everything going smoothly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/23mjD3

I can't find the exact red couger case. I just went with the one that closest to it. The red one is MX200, and the one listed on pcpartpicker is MX300

Edited by ShaaNewb, 10 July 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#6 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

Nice build, but i have a question though, your build only show 120GB SSD and i believe Windows 7 will takes up 30 - 40GB spaces of your SSD and you probably have sufficient space left to install games but not a lot though, are you okay with that? 

Also, you are fine bios wise with that board. It is the latest revision and has the necessary support out of the box. The warning really only applies to older boards that were made before Vishera was released, and your CPU and motherboard are AM3+ so i think that could be false positive flag. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 10 July 2015 - 12:25 AM.

#7 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:24 AM

Not really, but money is the defining factor. I'm already over budget adding the 120 SSD.

Thanks for your help. I'll do some research about this 970 chipset bios incompatible in the morning. I've been staring at this screen too long, terrible headache.

#8 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

Research is the key, anyway good luck with your build  :thumbup2: .

If you have any questions feels free to ask us.

#9 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:24 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I've played around with upgrading parts on other computers before and have been successful, but I have never built on from the ground up. I know it will take a lot of your time to sort through these links, but I assure you it is very appreciated, and will put my mind at ease. It will make that checkout button alot easier to push.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

ShaaNewb,

Here's my recommended computer build. You will notice there are no compatibility issues.

The total cost may be over your budget a bit, but in the future that motherboard will allow you to upgrade the processor to a faster i5 4690k or an i7 4790k processor. Plus, you can add more system RAM, all the way up to 32 GB.

The i3 4150 processor is a dual core, but with hyperthreading built-in. That makes it more powerful than any AMD processor you can find for that size budget.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($65.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $590.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-10 02:19 EDT-0400

Edited by Buzzsaw, 10 July 2015 - 02:49 AM.

#10 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

I would love to purchase the parts you listed, I would rather have an intel cpu too, but money is the problem. I would also have to add an operating system, and wireless network adapter to that list you posted, which puts me over $700. :blink: Thanks for the help buzzsaw, but I was kind of hoping for something to decrease the price.

Oh btw, can anyone tell me what do I got to do to get a promo code from newegg?

My list of parts adds up to $553 - $59 in mail in rebates. That equals $494 which is already $94 over my budget. If I reuse my old 160gb HDD, and my old usb network adapter. I can get the price down to $441 /w rebates and shipping.

Anyways, if I purchase the intel parts, by the time I'm able to save enough to get an i7 it will already be old news.

I think I have 2 choices. Show my lack of will power and blow my budget, or show restraint until I can afford exactly what I want. I think option 1 will happen eventually.

Also, you are fine bios wise with that board. It is the latest revision and has the necessary support out of the box. The warning really only applies to older boards that were made before Vishera was released, and your CPU and motherboard are AM3+ so i think that could be false positive flag. 

Thanks for the help. I read that also, so that really puts my mind at ease on that matter.

#11 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

I would love to purchase the parts you listed, I would rather have an intel cpu too, but money is the problem. I would also have to add an operating system, and wireless network adapter to that list you posted, which puts me over $700. :blink: Thanks for the help buzzsaw, but I was kind of hoping for something to decrease the price.

Oh btw, can anyone tell me what do I got to do to get a promo code from newegg?

My list of parts adds up to $553 - $59 in mail in rebates. That equals $494 which is already $94 over my budget. If I reuse my old 160gb HDD, and my old usb network adapter. I can get the price down to $441 /w rebates and shipping.

Anyways, if I purchase the intel parts, by the time I'm able to save enough to get an i7 it will already be old news.

I think I have 2 choices. Show my lack of will power and blow my budget, or show restraint until I can afford exactly what I want. I think option 1 will happen eventually.

Thanks for the help. I read that also, so that really puts my mind at ease on that matter.

ShaaNewb,

Do you have your own copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation disk? If so, you can use that.

By the end of this month, Microsoft will automatically upgrade either 7 or 8 to Windows 10, free of charge.

There's no need to buy any new OS software.

For the record... promo codes are worthless and most are fakes.

The only promo codes that are legit actually come from the retailer or the manufacturer themselves.

Rebates are a joke. Only 25% are actually turned in and if you do NOT follow the rebates instructions exactly including sending in the original receipt, you will never see the rebate. Out of that 25% that are sent in, only 50% are actually rebated.

Never ever go by the "after rebate" price.

You must go by what you have to pay NOW.

Edited by Buzzsaw, 10 July 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#12 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the info. No, I don't have a copy of 7 or 8.

#13 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info. No, I don't have a copy of 7 or 8.

ShaaNewb,

I can direct you to a way where you can get one.

PM me for more info.

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:00 PM

What exactly is the use case and budget for this PC?  I would keep the original build in the first post and replace the CPU and GPU with the AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5GHz if you have extra money) and GIGABYTE GV-N960IXOC-2GD GeForce GTX 960.  This is a good combination for gaming.  The FX-4000 series is aimed, in my opinion, at the basic home office PC and really shouldn't be considered a go to part for gaming.

According to the CPU support list for that motherboard here, it seems as though most of the Vishera CPU's use the F3 BIOS with only the newer models requiring a BIOS update.  The F3 BIOS is the initial BIOS for the

Microsoft is giving Windows 10 away for free to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users who are using a valid licensed copy.  You can get a free copy of Windows 10 by joining the Windows Insider program, but these are "Time bombed" versions that expire eventually.  Windows Insider will continue after Windows 10 is released, but if you want to use normal, fully tested versions of Windows 10, you will need to buy it or upgrade from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, otherwise, you'll be stuck using test versions of the OS.  Here is a blog post at Microsoft about it. 

3939.png

#15 ShaaNewb

ShaaNewb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

What exactly is the use case and budget for this PC?  I would keep the original build in the first post and replace the CPU and GPU with the AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5GHz if you have extra money) and GIGABYTE GV-N960IXOC-2GD GeForce GTX 960.  This is a good combination for gaming.  The FX-4000 series is aimed, in my opinion, at the basic home office PC and really shouldn't be considered a go to part for gaming.

The use is for multitasking like, music, web surfing, browsing ebay, and doing research etc. Also, playing games like first person shooters or mmorpgs. I know the better hardware will increase what I can do with the pc, but my goal is to build something that will work without buying expensive hardware. My budget is $400.

I would LOVE to get that video card, and either one of those processors. The problem is the price. I figure I can get the FX-4300 and the GTX 750 now, and upgrade to better hardware later.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z4ZmZL

I've changed some things in my new parts list, took some things out, and chose some cheaper parts to get closer to my budget. I have a 160gb hdd and a dvdr drive, that I can use to save a little bit more.

Right now, all I have to use is an old laptop. Which isn't good for anything except internet browsing. So, I'm debating wether to buy something cheap now that I can upgrade later, or just continue saving until I can buy better hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users