Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't Upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29 from PCmag.com!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

The article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2487342,00.asp

Moderators, if this thread is inappropriate for any specific reason feels free to delete it. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 09 July 2015 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

Wrote a bunch to this but, have to start over cus I forgot BC doesn't work very well in Edge, yet.  I've been told it will soon so, looking forward to that.

No idea if someone is going to tell you it's in the wrong place but, nice to have an opportunity to comment on it.  But, @ least it will be noticed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to think people are being paid for writing articles like this.  Painting bleak pictures (of the future) and guessing whilst those readers who know no better will buy into it hook, line & sinker because if it's a byline in print it surely must be gospel.  This kind of writing, also, makes it that much more challenging and arduous for IT Pros trying to convey accuracy to the masses.

The one valid bit is Win10 is going to be very popular and countless people all over the Globe are anxiously awaiting the 29th.  However, (DUH) Microsoft, certainly, knows this, already.  (1) The "reserve the Download" is brilliant, people who take it are smart and those will have '1st dibs', so to speak. (2) It is going to go out in 'waves'.

Likely there are heaps of articles sticking to the facts, not fear-mongering or misleading Folks or making people nervous, apprehensive or leery.  There is so much positive to be expressed about the Windows 10 Platform and enthusiasm, excitement that can be generated by better essays.  Chances are people will be able to read them, as well.

Edited by Drew1903, 09 July 2015 - 11:58 PM.

#3 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

I don't ever plan to upgrade anything past 7. Ever since I used 8 in a VM, it feels like Microsoft has more control over my desktop then I do.

Almost like they are the computer administrator and I am the guest with all their ridiculous rules of keeping Windows FIrewall or UAC active for certain things to work, or making it almost impossible to edit apps.

Not to mention how they made a third party app like onedrive integrated into the system. I can go on and on with all the restrictions but when I heard that Windows 10 was getting rid of booting from live cd's, that was the nail on the coffin for me.

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

Almost like they are the computer administrator and I am the guest with all their ridiculous rules of keeping Windows FIrewall or UAC active for certain things to work, or making it almost impossible to edit apps.

What's wrong with Windows firewall and User Account Control been active? Windows firewall is just keep the bad guys away, and user account control give you control of what applications need to run or not.

#5 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Don't see the point for Windows Firewall if you have a 3rd party one installed other then taking up system resources and I always felt that UAC was more of an annoyance then anything. It's good for people who aren't very computer illiterate I guess.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:14 AM

Don't see the point for Windows Firewall if you have a 3rd party one installed other then taking up system resources and I always felt that UAC was more of an annoyance then anything. It's good for people who aren't very computer illiterate I guess.

1st of all one should never, ever, have more than one (software) firewall simultaneously; huge conflict.  2ndly, one sees a UAC prompt so very rarely it can hardly be called an annoyance, plus, it can be set so the screen does not dim.

And a firewall AND UAC are (for good reason) for all End Users no matter how computer savvy or not they may be; really has no bearing on it or relevancy, @ all.  Not to mention a complete lack of need for a 3rd Party firewall when the OS, already, has one embedded natively.

Sure, some are tooo crazy about 8.1 even though it is possible to use it w/out the aspects of it that some Folks don't like... BUT, as for staying w/ Win7 forever... it will not endure whereas Windows 10 will.

OneDrive is not a 3rd Party application, never was.

"edit apps".  If meaning Store APPs, editing them would not come into play.  If meaning applications/programs those not something one edits, either.

True, no, Windows 10 cannot boot from a CD... they are not big enough to hold an OS.  However, it will boot quite happily from a DVD.

Truth is the End User, certainly, does have "control" over their Desktop... all MS does is give them the canvass, paint & brushes.  And aides in protecting them, often from themselves... no matter how savvy they think they are.

#7 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:17 AM

As for the Windows firewall part, i think is good enough for every day use really. F - Secure, Trendmicro,Bitdefender,and other ditch Windows firewall, because developed a firewall is more challenging then developing an antivirus solution. Also, i think not all AVs will compatible on Windows 10 lauch day  i guess.

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:32 AM

not all AVs will compatible on Windows 10 launch day

Not all 3rd Party securities are compatible on the Betas (which doesn't matter since the OS has built-in security) but, it is highly likely all will be compatible by the 29th.  3rd Party vendors have no obligation to support Beta OSs.  But, they don't look very good if they are not "Ready" by the time an OS is released.

Edited by Drew1903, 10 July 2015 - 01:41 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

I think you are underestimating the UAC by a lot here. If the UAC is disabled, malware can run on the system without any restrictions. If the UAC is enabled, then their damage can be totally prevented and/or controlled.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

Because Windows 10 is a free upgrade, the rollout will be a fiasco of epic proportions. The average consumer will want to upgrade to Windows 10 immediately because everyone is in a rush.

I don't understand this comment as Windows 10 will not be made available to everybody on day one and will be rolled out over a period of time.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

I also like the fact that the assume things without any evidences or proofs to support it.

Because Windows 10 is a free upgrade, the rollout will be a fiasco of epic proportions.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

Must be the bad blood between Dvorak and Ballmer still influencing his views.

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Thank you for the link, John!  I've been trying to find Mr. Dvorak's blog for over a year!  And yay, it uses Disqus!  Just had to say thank you to you in that blog.  If it's untoward, let me know and I'll recant as you stipulate. Thank you again!

Edited by brainout, 10 July 2015 - 01:03 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Because Windows 10 is a free upgrade, the rollout will be a fiasco of epic proportions. The average consumer will want to upgrade to Windows 10 immediately because everyone is in a rush.

I don't understand this comment as Windows 10 will not be made available to everybody on day one and will be rolled out over a period of time.

Hence my saying, "out in 'waves'.

I also like the fact that the assume things without any evidences or proofs to support it.

Hence my saying, "guessing".

Edited by Drew1903, 10 July 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, well all Dvorak was saying was, don't rush to adopt.  And he just yesterday came out with an article urging better marketing for Windows Phone, click here.  So he's not anti-MSFT.  Just being reasonable.  Same is true for any OS, whether Windows, Apple, Android, any flavor of Linux, etc.

It's a sophisticated OS. And problemmatic, partly due to that.  So you should think.  Now, my recommendation is, that if you want to upgrade, to do a clean install on a separate machine or partition, so you have your old and familiar, plus the new.  DO NOT upgrade atop a retail copy of a prior OS (like Win7 or 8.1).  If instead the 'old' OS came with your machine at purchase, well it's still better to do a clean install so nothing breaks;  but you could install atop your old OS if you want.  The new EULA stipulates that Win10 cannot be transferred of itself (standard OEM language), so if your 'old' WinOS is also OEM, that same rule applied anyhow.  So you can sell or give away the computer, but you can't strip off the OS and put it on another machine.

BUT if you are installing on top of (rather than separately) a retail copy of the prior WinOS, then you no longer have the right to transfer that older one to another machine.  Only if a separate install of Win10, can you preserve the transferability of the 'old' retail OS.  For Win10, is not transferable apart from the device it's on.

Edited by brainout, 16 July 2015 - 06:58 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users