Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make a bootable external flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jongo123

Jongo123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

Is it possible to install Windows Vista (or any Windows) to an external flash drive?

This is just a contingency, in case of emergency. If my computer fails, I want to boot up from the flash drive to diagnose the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

I think the easiest would be to download Hiren's CD iso and use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.  Parted Magic is based on linux and is also a good diagnostic tool. I linked to the last free version. Here is the website.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

If the external storage drive connected to eSata port then you may able to install Windows Vista and later version of the Windows OS's to external storage drive.

Windows To Go is a feature in Windows 8, 8.1 Enterprise that allows Windows 8 Enterprise to boot and run from USB mass storage devices such as USB flash drives and external hard disk drives.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

The determining factor is whether the boot order in the BIOS supports a USB drive.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users