Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me make sense of an odd Sony Vaio wifi issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mat7688

mat7688

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

Hey, need some help please.  Thank you in advance.

I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Its a Sony Vaio 14n13cxb (Tablet/Laptop) in one, running Windows 8.1.

The laptop has a terrible wifi connection, compared to 4 other computers.  the sony get half of the speed or less and disconnects frequently.  The router is only about 10 feet away in a closet.  No other computers have an issue. I'm baffled.

Things that have been tried:

*A different internal wireless card

*Sony updates

*Driver updates

*External wifi adapter (this works, temporarily, the length of the wire allows the wifi adapter to get about 3, 4 feet closer to where the router is, and the speeds become normal without disconnecting issues).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

[just a guess]

If a different wireless card reacts the same way back up one step more - the power to the card. It sounds like you are getting a signal but a very weak one.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

Wow, power to the card, didnt even think of that (so simple). I assume the power is provided by the slot that the Wifi card plugs into on the motherboard, right?  Meaning, in order to fix the issue I would need a new motherboard, correct?  Thank you!

[just a guess]

If a different wireless card reacts the same way back up one step more - the power to the card. It sounds like you are getting a signal but a very weak one.

Dick

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

And maybe this will help you nail down the culprit.  It could be that the laptop is just unable to cope with multiple interference.  Have you tried shutting down the other pc's to see if then your laptop gets a stronger signal?

#5 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

hmm i dont think that link helps in my situation because ive tested other computers, in the exact same spot as the problem-laptop and they have no issues.  is it the wificard slot on the laptop motherboard that powers the nic? i have a strong feeling thats the issue

And maybe this will help you nail down the culprit.  It could be that the laptop is just unable to cope with multiple interference.  Have you tried shutting down the other pc's to see if then your laptop gets a stronger signal?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

So the external Wifi adapter runs fine and does not disconnect? Open Device Manager, right click on your wireless adapter, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line shown.

#7 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

ok i cant access the computer until wednesday so i will get it then!  and yes the external wifi adapter runs much better, no disconnections. thank you!

So the external Wifi adapter runs fine and does not disconnect? Open Device Manager, right click on your wireless adapter, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line shown.

Edited by mat7688, 10 August 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#8 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

the hardware ID

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_E025105B&REV_01

xirrus scan:
ss1_zpsrpkndom0.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

That is an Atheros AR5B95 and unfortunately the latest driver I could find was for Windows 8 and not 8.1 even though it is dated 2014-12-22. It may work for 8 as it lists being for 8.1 but looking at the inf file it shows  OS 6.2 which is Windows 8. 8.1 is OS 6.3. I would be a little concerned installing it. You would to at least make a restore point.

I can link to the driver if you like. It needs to be installed via Device Manager > Update driver.

You say the USB adapter works fine. Is there any reason not to use that instead?

#10 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

ive already updated the driver, didnt help.

dont want to use the USB adapter because its a laptop, and no one wnats a huge adapter (or wire, and then adapter) sticking out of it.

That is an Atheros AR5B95 and unfortunately the latest driver I could find was for Windows 8 and not 8.1 even though it is dated 2014-12-22. It may work for 8 as it lists being for 8.1 but looking at the inf file it shows  OS 6.2 which is Windows 8. 8.1 is OS 6.3. I would be a little concerned installing it. You would to at least make a restore point.

I can link to the driver if you like. It needs to be installed via Device Manager > Update driver.

You say the USB adapter works fine. Is there any reason not to use that instead?

#11 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

oh maybe it wasnt updated. im pretty sure i updated it...

anyway i just tried to update it and it told me "the best driver is already installed"

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Take a look at this one. Or this one

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 August 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#13 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

i already tried a micro wifi adapter and it wouldnt even install.  since theres no guarantee a micro one works as good, im going to leave that as very last resort.  i cant afford to waste anymore money towards this laptop, it was overpriced as it is.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Yes, there are no guarantees but the edimax does show 8.1 drivers listed. I have heard some bad things on 8.1 wireless. You may want to try the steps here and see if there is an improvement. Pay special attention to the netsh commands

#15 mat7688

mat7688
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

really? it could be windows 8.1 effecting the wireless?  even though its just the internal wireless? if thats the case we'll just update to windows 10.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users