Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User folders on separate drive take forever to load...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'm trying to access my user folder on a different hard drive, but it takes forever to load and then afterwards does nothing. I think I've already set all the permissions and stuff but it still isn't working.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

How did you transfer the user folders to another drive?

If you right click on the appropriate User folder (such as "Documents") and select Properties - you'll see a tab that states "Location"

Do you have this?  Is it set correctly?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

This feature works perfectly and quickly for me. I am using build 10166, but it has worked very quickly in every Windows 10 build.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

How did you transfer the user folders to another drive?

If you right click on the appropriate User folder (such as "Documents") and select Properties - you'll see a tab that states "Location"

Do you have this?  Is it set correctly?

No, I'm trying to access my Windows 7 user folder on Windows 10.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Ah, I see now.

Check Task Manager - the Performance tab

If you see lot's of activity on the hard drive and it's still working slowly - it's possible that the hard drive is dying.
When this happens the system has to double/triple/etc check the hard drive in order to make sure it's getting the right data.  The multiple checks are what slows things down.

Have you tested the hard drive to see if it's failiing?

If it is failing, then the most important thing is to copy your data off of it - as you don't know when it's going to finally die completely (and then data recovery becomes very, very expensive!).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

Ah, I see now.

Check Task Manager - the Performance tab

If you see lot's of activity on the hard drive and it's still working slowly - it's possible that the hard drive is dying.
When this happens the system has to double/triple/etc check the hard drive in order to make sure it's getting the right data.  The multiple checks are what slows things down.

Have you tested the hard drive to see if it's failiing?

If it is failing, then the most important thing is to copy your data off of it - as you don't know when it's going to finally die completely (and then data recovery becomes very, very expensive!).

The copy of Windows 10 preview I have is installed on a decade-old HDD, which may be the issue. But the user folder I am trying to access is located on a new HDD.

P.S. I am planning on replacing the old HDD with the same size SSD (250 GB). There is no valuable info on the old HDD so I don't have anything to worry about.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Then go ahead and test both of the hard drives.

I'd suggest using Seatools and running the long/extended test on both drives

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

#8 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

Does it matter that the older hard drive is a Western Digital?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Not really.  You can use the Western Digital diagnostics - but I've had problems with their tests in the past.  That's why I suggest Seagate Seatools.

#10 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

OK. Both drives passed all the tests.

P.S. I'm out of town for the next 10 days so I cannot reply to posts or PMS until then. Thanks for your understanding!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

Post back when you return and we'll pickup where we left off.

FYI - I get an email whenever you reply to this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users