Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Dead?! Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

Hi guys,

My toshiba satelitte laptop has been working fine and I turned it on this morning and all it is doing is showing me a black screen with the writing:

"PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and select proper boot device

Insert Boot media in Selected Boot device....press any key.

This will loop continuosly until I restart, and then will do the same. When I go into settings and then boot device its:

1. HDD/SSD
2. ODD - MATbleepADVD
3. LAN - REALTEK .....

4. USB

I then go into setup and more concerning is:

HDD/SSD - NONE
ODD: MATbleepADVD

Looks to me that the HDD is dead. I took it out and placed it into a USB HDD docking device I use on my PC. I can hear the HDD spin but nothing is happening after that....

Anything else I can do to test HDD. And if it is dead, what do I do to get myself back up and running again?.............

Any help is always appreciated, thanks

ndonaldson2912

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

If it wasn't detected in the toshiba and also using the USB enclosure I would say the drive is dead. The only way to recover any data would be to take it to a professional data recovery service with clean room access.  Edit: Some people have reported success by placing the HDD in a zip lock freezer bag and placing it in the freezer overnight. Then accessing the data if possible but this is a last ditch effort.

From here you should purchase a new drive and then contact Toshiba  for a set of recovery disks. If the computer is in warranty there is no charge but from what I read the shipping and handling charge can be high. I am not sure what the charge is for out of warranty.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#3 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

Is there any way that I can recover data myself?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

Not if the drive is not detected in BIOS or the USB enclosure. The drive needs to be detected in order to try a software solution.

#5 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

Ok, I have the product key for laptop. If I purchase a new HDD and get a Win7 Home Premium ISO, can I just install using same product key. I dont mind losing data - not much on it anyway...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

You will have to use telephone activation though. It would be best if you called Microsoft and got a live person. Microsoft only activates COA sticker keys via telephone activation.

(888) 571-2048

The Toshiba install disks would have a SLP key that works with the SLIC BIOS to preactivate Windows.

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Answered above.

Edited by saw101, 09 July 2015 - 06:34 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users