Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building An Array

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bazanaius

Bazanaius

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

Hey guys, I've got a disk with my stuff on it, and I would like to build it into a RAID 1 array with a blank disc that I've just bought.

can anyone advise me how to do this? I'm guessing I would put both drives over to the raid controller, but which one would it take as the 'backup' and which one the blank?

any thoughts would be great!

baz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

Well, it would be nice to know a few more things. Such as, are these SATA drives or PATA drives? What is the make and model number of the computer? Or if homemade, what is the mobo model number, and what bios is being used?

It seems you can find this out in the manual.

But basically it probably means changing a setting in the BIOS, and then entering the RAID part of the BIOS at boot up (usually you will be told how on your screen during bootup). Once you enter the control, you can then set up a RAID array. The data from the first hard drive will pretty much just be copied into the second drive for a RAID 1 array.

EDIT: and there probably is a driver that needs to be installed.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 July 2006 - 08:26 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Bazanaius

Bazanaius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

hey mate sorry I was in a rush when I wrote that! my mobo is an asus A8N SLI deluxe (yes with the annoyingly loud fan), and Im using the NVRAID controller on board. Im using bios version 1008.

I havnt for the life of me got a clue where the manual for the board is but I'll have a good hunt and try and get it out of there. of course if someone fancies saving me some time... ;-)

Im mostly worried that it'l get the drives the wrong way round and copy over the full one with just blank!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users