Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trusted Installer and other update issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mslik

mslik

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hello,

I'm working with a Dell Inspiron N5010 with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.  It's has some adware and PUP's issues that I think I've cleaned up with Combofix, Malwarebytes, and adaware (sp). 

First let me say I cannot find the install disc.  Windows will not let me download the install as the registry number belongs to Dell.  Dell no longer has links to Windows for me to download.  I don'tr eally want to upgrade, this is a friends computer. 

I still have issues now with Windows updates.  Something's missing in the Registry.  I cannot run a scf /scannow   I get a message that says Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. 

I did find that windows update was disabled in the registry and I turned it on.  Still no good.

I ran Tweaking.com-Windows Repair.  It fixed quite a few issues but still found some registry files missing namely TrustedInstaller.exe.

I found on Microsoft where I can add the trustedinstaller to the registry, but I don't have permission to add one.  I am running as an administrator. 

I need lots of help. 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Type services.msc into Start Menu search box to open the Services Manager. Look for Windows Modules Installer service double-click on it and press the Start button to start the service. Set its startup type to Manual. Once the service is started, run System File Checker and see if it works.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 July 2015 - 06:01 PM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 mslik

mslik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

I don't see Windows Module Installer  Here are snips of the Extended and Standard files where it should be.  I also added a snip of the TrustedInstaller with error code 2

Attached Files

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

Type cmd.exe into Start Menu search box right click the cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator" to open Command Prompt.

Within Command Prompt type:  Dir  /b   C:\WINDOWS\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe  |  Clip  command and press Enter key this command output will get saved to the Windows clipboard and won’t print inside the Command Prompt window. After executing the command you can paste the clipboard content at your next post for us to view.

Also paste the clipboard content for the next command type: Sc qc TrustedInstaller | Clip command and press Enter key.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 July 2015 - 09:44 PM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 mslik

mslik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

Response to the first command is File Not Found

Here is the information when giving the second command  Sc

[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: TrustedInstaller
        TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
        START_TYPE         : 3   DEMAND_START
        ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
        BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
        LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   : ProfSvc_Group
        TAG                : 0
        DISPLAY_NAME       : TrustedInstaller
        DEPENDENCIES       :
        SERVICE_START_NAME : localSystem

Attached Files

• Attached File  clip.PNG   27.77KB   0 downloads

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

Please...post your ComboFix log and other requested logs...following Steps 6-8 of the Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html , starting a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum.

This new topic is to posted in the same forum which contains the Prep Guide.

After creating your new topic, please come back to this topic and post the link to the newly created topic in the MRL forum.

Louis

#7 mslik

mslik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

This topic has moved to :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582425/coupon-and-adware-with-pups/

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

Again, thank you :).

Good luck with your new topic...this topic is now closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users