Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dropbox/wifi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arlenefool

arlenefool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

little background, i have started working for an office place that has about 20 staff, all computers are hooked up through wifi, they use dropbox instead of a server so people can access stuff at home.  but they have it fully downloaded on to each computer. then they use a spreadsheet to create invoices that are about 5000kb!?!.

from what i am seeing, it looks like each time a person access a document on the dropbox, it then uploads it to the dropbox, then downloads it to everyones computer.  so each time one is access we download 95mb?? and if we touch 100 a day its like 10gb? (my math might be off, but i dont need to be exact). so thats crazy.

i am trying to get them to switch to a server, but we have opened a second location and lots of people work from home, so they want the ease of dropbox and being to access it anywhere.

i am thinking of setting up a computer, without a user, that would be the only one hooked up to dropbox, and then everyone would network to that computer to access the stuff. but it would still upload to dropbox.  so my question, would this work?  what should i look for in a computer? does it need a lot of ram, or just memory?

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

A workstation can't support that many users.  A server can with RDP licenses.  Sounds like you need QuickBooks not an excel sheet.

#3 arlenefool

arlenefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

how hard is it to set up a server...is it like a computer with a really big memory that everyone can access?  could someone with a  basic understanding of computers do it?

the excel sheet, we actually have a very expensive program we use to track everything, but when the sales people send an invoice they prefer this 500 year old spread sheet, i have made a new one that works the same that is 45kb, but they are set in their ways.

#4 Aperture

Aperture

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi arlenefool,

You may want to look into what QNAP has to offer - they offer "smart" NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices which allow people to map shared folders from the device to their computers and access them asif they were just another hard drive connected to their machine.  The cool thing about QNAP, though, is that using the myQNAPcloud functionality people will be able to remotely access and save files when outside of the office.  There is a desktop client which can run very similarly to dropbox that will automatically sync all specified folders at regular intervals.  When you are in the office and are on the same network as the QNAP, it will pull the files down over the local network saving on internet bandwidth and allowing much faster syncing speeds.

Here is a little youtube video that explains how to set up some shared folders and set them to automatically sync via Qsync:

It is really easy to manage, the web interface is much like using an iPad.

In response to your question, servers can be anything from tiny machines around the size of a router all the way up to taking up entire racks.  They are built to run 24/7 and typically have more expensive components in them such as RAM modules with error-correction code (or ECC for short) and fast spinning, high endurance hard drives which use the Serial Attached SCSI (or SAS for short) interface.  Rack mounted servers tend to be pretty loud all the time while tower servers can be quite quiet if they are running cool, so a tower server could probably be placed somewhere out-of-the-way in an office environment, while a rackmount server will need to be installed in a dedicated communications (comms) room.

For what you are doing, I think something like a QNAP would be plenty powerful enough to offer quick storage which can be accessed over the internet and by a multitude of devices.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Servers are easy to set up, it is the licensing and configuring that causes issues.

I believe the real problem is that Microsoft puts an artificial limit on the number of machine that can access a workstation share.

I think a NAS that supports Dropbox might be your best option.  You use the NAS to hold the Dropbox files and then access the Dropbox folder on the NAS from the clients.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:16 AM

A NAS is with way to go. Much cheaper and easier to manage than a MS server.  Just make sure to get one that is going raid1,5 or 6.  This way if a drive fails you have not lost everything.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 10 July 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#7 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:35 AM

Read this, Dropbox doesn't always sync the whole file !

Dropbox supports LAN sync !

dropbox-enable-lan-sync.jpg

Enable LAN sync will save traffic for the people on the same lan, not for the people in the other location or those working from home...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users