Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new comp wont run os disk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sonofmorris

sonofmorris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

I have recently built a new gaming computer. When on the bios screen, every component is recognized. I have a windows 7 ultimate upgrade disk to install the os. When i boot the computer using the dvd drive it doesnt work. The only thing it does is the screen goes black, and a dash mark flickers in the top left corner for a second or two, then it goes back to the bios screen like nothing happened.

The dvd drive opens and closes and is recognized in the sata port.

I know using an upgrade disk isnt the normal way to do this but i know this works.

My only idea now is to buy a new operating system but im reluctant to do it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

I suspect that the drive you installed is ' not new ' and I am hesitant to assist you since your basically attempting to circumvent restrictions that are put in place to require an installed OS to run an upgrade disc.

#3 sonofmorris

sonofmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

Well my dvd drive is brand new off of new egg. And i would buy a real install disk if i thought that would help. But i dont think it would.

If you think that is the problem i will try. But ive already had a huge hassle dealing with newegg, so i dont want to waste anymore money on making this work.

Edited by sonofmorris, 09 July 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#4 Aperture

Aperture

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hi sonofmorris,

You can try interupting the boot process and bringing up the boot menu - typically during initial boot you should see a BIOS splashscreen with some hotkeys mentioned at the bottom such as: F10 for BIOS, F11 for Boot Menu, F12 for PXE Network Boot.  Find the corresponding hotkey for boot menu and keep tapping that until the menu comes up.

Once it is up, you should be presented with all available boot devices, select the optical drive and hit return, this should now allow the computer to boot from the install disc.

If the boot menu comes up but you do not see any optical drives listed then it may be due to one of the following reasons:

- SATA Cable lose / unplugged at the optical drive end

- SATA Cable lose / unplugged at the motherboard end

- SATA Power Connector is lose / unplugged

- SATA port is disabled in BIOS

If you have checked all the above and it still doesn't detect the drive then the optical drive may be faulty and you should try plugging in an alternative.

You could also try inserting an install disc for an alternative version of Windows to see if that boots.

Please let us know how you get on.  If you are struggling to get into the boot menu, please provide us with your motherboard make and model and we should be able to dig out specific instructions for you.

#5 sonofmorris

sonofmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

When i start my computer it goes directly to the bios as its a brand new computer. Every component that is on the computer is recognized by the mobo. I have been booting off of the dvd drive where the os cd is.

It is possible that the dvd drive is faulty but it opens and closes and is recognized on the bios screen.

#6 Aperture

Aperture

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

You could try switching from UEFI to Legacy boot in BIOS and seeing if it loads the bootable disc then. Also have you got any other OS install discs to try?

#7 sonofmorris

sonofmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

Yes i just went and bought WIndows 7 Pro. Doesnt work. I guess at this point its an hardware problem. How exciting.......

#8 Aperture

Aperture

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear that, do you have a local IT store you can pop by and grab a new DVD drive from? You can pick them up fairly cheap these days.  I would suggest you do a final check of all the cabling and check that the UEFI boot option is definitely set to legacy before parting with your cash though! :)

#9 sonofmorris

sonofmorris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

Ya im going to buy another cd/dvd drive. But now i have to deal with newegg return.

Thanks for the help fellas

#10 Aperture

Aperture

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

No worries - always happy to help.  Let us know if you have any further problems after replacing the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users