Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black, computer immediately reboots.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 syntinen

syntinen

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

For a while I was having trouble with the NVIDIA drivers crashing constantly, so we reinstalled those fresh and the computer ran fine for a bit. Now, twice today, the screen has gone black and immediately rebooted the computer. I tend to keep my drivers up to date, so I'm not sure what could be the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can also send the minidump file if necessary. This is the error I get upon reboot: 

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 116
  BCP1: FFFFFA80062884E0
  BCP2: FFFFF8800506BAD4
  BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
  BCP4: 0000000000000004
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\070915-25755-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-76315-0.sysdata.xml

My comp specs are: 
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MICHELLE
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware X51
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware A07, 7/26/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.52 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.90 GB
Page File Space 5.89 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hi syntinen & Welcome to the forums ^_^,

The bugcheck you are encountering is as below -

The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

If you recently upgraded the drivers, have you tried reverting back to the previous/older drivers? Please try the drivers for your NVIDIA Card from the manufacturer's website as below (Please make sure that the desktop model in the below link matches with the one you have) -

http://www.dell.com/support/home/in/en/indhs1/product-support/product/alienware-x51/drivers

If the above methods don't resolve your problems, kindly follow the below instructions and then upload the ZIP file so that the dump files could be analysed :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Let us know in case of any problems ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 syntinen

syntinen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the response! Tried that stuff with the drivers once before, and it didn't help. Still got the blue screen 3 times today. Followed the instructions in the link you sent, not sure if I should attach those zip files here (which I will just in case), or I can just start a new thread.

Attached Files

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Greetings Syntinen ^_^,

Sorry for the late reply. My summer vacations are ending soon so I have been taking some time off. I have analysed your dump files and like I said in my previous post, it is your NVIDIA Driver causing the problem.

I see that the NVIDIA Driver installed on the system is dated to 2015. I would suggest you to uninstall the currently installed driver using the Display Driver Uninstaller from this **LINK**. Once you have removed the driver, reboot the system.

Now, install the latest driver from the link to the Dell website which I have posted in the previous post. Check Windows Update as well. There are sometimes optional updates (Specific to your Graphics Card) which can be downloaded and used as well.

In case, all of this does not work, try following the below post -

http://omgdebugging.com/tdr-fix-amd-nvidia-users/

Let us know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 syntinen

syntinen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

Hi! Thanks for the reply, no worries about the time. I remembered that I had screencapped a few times I was getting Nvidia display errors (so I was able to see when the problem started/which drivers kept causing the issue), so I ran DDU and went back to the drivers before I started having problems, and all has been fine since then. So far. Thank you for the help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users