Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista repair - stuck at 'Where do you want to install Windows?"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 templarart

templarart

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

I rebooted my Dell laptop, waited for the updates to complete and.... 'missing or corrupt compbatt.sys'. I looked iit up and this can be resolved by simply copying the files back into their folders. System restore doesn't work, nither does Safe Mode or Safe Mode with command line (crazy, compbatt.sys can even stop a CLI from coming up?)

Apparently I need to boot from a Vista 32 install disk. I couldn't find my original 32 bit Vista business OEMAct so I borrowed a CD. (Same - down to being a Delll OEM Vista Bus 32). It boots but I'm stuck at the 'Where do you want to install Windows?' Screen. It shows my drive at the correct capacity and usage but tells me that since I only have 1.2 gigabytes left I can't install windows. I don't want to install windows, I just want access to a CLI. Drive options include New, Delete and Refresh.

How can I get past this screen? Is the CD the wrong version? Is there some other way to get to a CLI? Thanks for your help! :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

You say system restore didn't work...does that mean you were able to login, try a restore and it failed? .... and are you also saying you can't login using safe mode?  

If you haven't logged in as of yet, you can try  Last Known Good in advanced boot options.  This will put you back to where you were at your last successful log on. 

Is there no repair option on the disk, or your system you can get to?  F12, F8?

Edit: if you are able to get to safe mode successfully, I suggest you try System Restore from there.  Often it will succeed where it fails in a normal logon.

Edited by MarkMCS, 09 July 2015 - 03:18 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 templarart

templarart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for trying to help.  By 'System Restore' - I guess I meant the F8 option that allows you to restore from last known good startup... or something like that. That doesn't work - it just won't boot to that.   I haven't been able to get it to boot at all.

I haven't seen a repair option yet but maybe it's past the 'Where do you want to install Windows?' block.  It's supposed to provide a screen that gives you the go ahead to install Windows with 'REPAIR' on the bottom left.

Safe mode won't boot up either.  F8 and F12 don't seem to help either unless there's an option I missed.

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

What happens when you try to boot to safe mode?  It should start loading drivers and eventually get to a logon screen.  Do you get to this screen, and can you login? If so, try sfc /scannow to repair windows.  If not you can type rstriu.exe in the search or run box and that will open System Restore.  

All Windows disks should have a repair option.  I would boot from disk and check again.  Try the repair.

Edit: Replacing a System file can be a pain in the A**.  I think if someone here can get you logged in, there is an easier way.

Edited by MarkMCS, 09 July 2015 - 04:26 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 templarart

templarart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

Tried to boot into safe mode and it showed me...

------------------------

windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.....

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next"
3. Click "Repair your computer."

File: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\compbatt.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt.

----------------

I put in the disk and between 2 & 3 it says I don't have enough space on Drive C to install Windows Vista...Stop.

Is there any way to access a CLI or get past the hard drive check?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

Try removing your battery when your computer is off then power on with AC adapter.

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 templarart

templarart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Battery doesn't work. I only use the AC adapter. Thanks for trying.

#8 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Perhaps someone else here on BC can help, but if you can't boot, I don't see how to access command prompt.

Assuming you have your personal data saved, you might think about a reinstall.  

You can get copies of the OEM disks from Dell free of charge (at least they were free last year). You can start here.  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/

I hope this helps.

Mark

#9 templarart

templarart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

This thread on How-to-Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/windows-wont-start-1 shows someone with the same issue copying files to his drive. Did he simply happen to be fortunate enough to have a larger hard drive so that the boot up CD wouldn't be stopped by lack of HD capacity? Is Microsoft seriously that dumb that they would put the repair section after an unnecessary size check or am I using the wrong CD or what?

#10 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

Lack of space shouldn't prevent 'repair' from running.  Perhaps you should check your hard drive.  You can download and burn SeaTools to a CD and boot from that to check for HD problems.  I don't know if this will help, but at least you can rule out this hardware problem.  Here is the link:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

#11 templarart

templarart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

I agree that capacity *shouldn't * stop a repair but that doesn't mean it isn't. My faith in Microsoft isn't that high. Microsoft seems intent on dumbing down their software so there's less and less functionality. Seriously, i cant even get to a friggin cli unless windows loads?! I've administrated servers for years and I can't imagine a scenario where my GUI had to load for me to access a CLI!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

If you want a command prompt boot the WIndows Vista install disk and at the Install Window that asks what language you want press shift+F10. At the next window you can select Repair Your Computer and it would offer to do a System Restore or Startup Repair. It may take three tries at startup repair to fix the problem.

If  you need to copy a file from a flash drive to the computer you can either install and run Aoemi PE builder on a WIndows 7/8 computer or download and burn a small linux distro like Puppy. When you get to the desktop your hard drive will be listed as sda. sda1..sda2..sda3 are the partitions on the disk. Click once on the drive icon and the drive will mount opening a File Manager Window. If it is not your Windows partition then exit FIle Manager and click on another hard drive icon. Attach your USB flash drive with the required file and a USB icon will appear on the desktop labled sdb1. Click once on it and another FIle Manager Window will open. Ctrl + left click to highlight the file and drag it to the correct location of the HDD File Manager. In Puppy you only need to click once to open the folder.

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

#13 templarart

templarart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

Three simple words... I love you! I'll post the results. THANKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users