Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Awaken a Flat HP "Monitor Going to Sleep"?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Upbloat

Upbloat

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

I have an HP Monitor (Model C4D33AA, with DVI) that had no problem working with my HP Pavillion desktop until the motherboard fried; now I have a very new ASUS desktop computer (Win 7, HDMI, VGA). Once I bought a DVI to HDMI cable, the monitor worked fine... for about a week.

After turning on the computer, a few initial startup screens or text can be seen as the computer starts. However, the Windows desktop never opens. Instead, I get the "Monitor Going to Sleep" message.

The monitor works in safe mode. (One page suggested that if so, "it's either a driver, or more likely too high a resolution set.")

Another monitor works with the VGA connection.

Once I started fooling around with the advice received from the help pages regarding this topic, the HP monitor now reads "Active" for the DVI setting. Before, there was "No Signal."

One of the bits of avice was to update the driver. Through HP's site, I did. The monitor is still going to sleep.

The HP site has a page that addresses this problem. As far as I could understand what was being said, the advice did not help.

I have fooled around with the "power" settings, as well as the screen resolution. These have been part of the usual advice. The monitor itself has some settings that has not helped with solving the problem.

Another bit of advice is to update the BIOS, but I don't think that is the problem given that the computer is so new. (Besides, I have a fear regarding BIOS changes.)

A commenter from this page suggested, "This has been a known issue since I got my HP panel screen 5 years ago.  It's been found to be a 'bug' rather than a fixable issue as far as reinstallation of video cards and such."

Troubling.

Another suggestion with potential value: "Issues like this are almost always with the computer, not the monitor. If you get a no signal message it means the monitor is on but no signal is coming to it. Check the video cable. If that does not work, try another monitor. People see the monitor say "going to sleep mode" and think it's the monitor issue that it's doing that, the real issue is that the monitor is not getting any video signal so is going to sleep mode."

Someone solved a similar problem by hooking up to the VGA connector, and perhaps that will be a solution in my situation (DVI-D to VGA), but I guess there will be quality loss. Besides, shouldn't there be a straightforward solution?

EDIT: Afterwards, looked around and this option is complicated and expensive, with varying results for users.

What a peculiar and particularly frustrating situation... it's weird. Perhaps your experience will pinpoint the right steps to take.

Thank you.

Edited by Upbloat, 09 July 2015 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

If it works in safe mode then it is most likely a driver conflict/problem.  Can you uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers in safe mode?

#3 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hi, YeahBleeping; thank you so much for lending me a hand.

My computer expertise only goes so far; I suppose I can always contact my computer manufacturer to get the ins and the outs, but so far I have resisted doing that.

Would you be willing to help me get a better bead on these drivers, and where I may locate them? Here is my new computer.

I suppose the relevant line is going to be, "Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600"

If that's the case, I'd imagine the driver download would be at...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel+HD+Graphics+4600 ?

(I suppose we would be shooting for the first "Latest" one, instead of the second "Previously Released" one?)

Lastly, I see from Control Panel's Install/Uninstall area, there are five "Intel" listings. The one to uninstall in safe mode would be the one called... "Intel Graphics Driver"?

As I've never done this before, I'm worried that as soon as I uninstall this, there will be no graphics driver, and so... will the screen go black? (Permanent dead end, and the point of no return.)

I appreciate the hand-holding.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Well technically windows should 'auto install' a missing graphics driver so you should not be 'out of a point of no return' and Yes you would download and install the latest for windows 7 64 bit.  And Yes you want to uninstall the one listed for intel graphics driver.  First download the new driver however so you can install it right after you uninstall the current one.

#5 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

Dear YeahBleeping, we came so close. (I got excited, and also got set to build you a shrine for your genius.)

I had the sleeping HP monitor on during the process, with the familiar amber light showing (we want that light to be green), and once the old driver got uninstalled, the HP monitor came to life. Hallelujah!

A restarting was called for, but once the reboot completed, the HP monitor went to sleep again. No matter, there was one more step to go, the installation of the new driver. (And boy, did my old one seem outdated; its number was far away from the new.)

Anyway, upon the installation of the new driver, the HP monitor magically awakened. Joy, oh joy.

The installation called for a restart for the changes to take effect, and once I clicked "yes" to the restart...

The HP monitor went to sleep again.

Woe, oh woe! I was so sure we were there...

The question becomes... now what?

(Upon the installation, there was a check for "Aero" to be enabled. Could that have had an effect?)

Thank you so much.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

Interesting.  Can you disable the Aero theme in safe mode and see if it works ?  And.. no need for shrines LOL thanks though.

#7 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

You're right. If you manage to get to the bottom of this, you will deserve more than a shrine. Maybe your own personal country? (Not sayin' I'd be able to get you that, just sayin' that's one thing you'd deserve.)

While I'm flattered you are giving me so much computer wizardry credit, boy! I sure would appreciate your giving me a little more detail on steps to take, unless something is very obvious.

According to pages as this and this, the only way to disable Aero in Wndows 7 is to right click on the desktop and choose Personalize, and then select one of the "Basic" themes.

In Safe Mode, "Personalize" wasn't available.

(After undergoing the process that I'll outline below, I did choose one of the Basic themes, but it was strange; you just click on a Basic, and there is no "Apply" or "OK" button, so I couldn't be sure whether it was implemented. Anyway, the mere clicking and highlighting of one of the Basic themes did not activate the HP monitor.)

I didn't remember exactly what that checkbox said upon installation of the new Intel driver, so I got the idea to uninstall the new driver and re-install it again. The wording turned out to read:

"Automatically run WinSAT and enable the Windows Aero desktop theme (if supported)"

I unchecked the box.

After the re-installation, the monitor went to sleep again, so that did not help.

BUT...

What happened this time after the uninstallation was that the HP monitor stayed awake!

So I suppose as long as I am willing to live with Windows' basic graphic driver, we have found one way to get the monitor back.

It would be a pity, though, to live without whatever advantages the graphic card has to offer. So if you have further ideas as to how to make the Intel driver co-exist with the monitor awakening, please share your thoughts.

(Really weird, huh? We've got a working monitor, a working computer, and it should not be so difficult to make them communicate with each other.)

If using the basic Windows driver becomes the only option, YeahBleeping, one problem to hopefully resolve will be that the images on the screen are stretched/elongated (that is, the "Aspect Ratio" is off), and I hope you can help me with possible ways of normalizing the appearance. I didn't see much to play with when I briefly examined the "right click on the desktop" options; the screen resolution was at the lowest, and I set it a little higher, but that had nothing to do with the look of the images. Afterwards, I re-installed the Intel driver (which shut off the monitor), and that's where we stand now.

Much obliged.

#8 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

In the interim, I have learned... using the basic Windows driver is not an option. Too limited.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Leave Aero off it uses resources that you do not need to waste.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

Nice to hear from you OldPhil, and thanks for the tip. I've noticed Aero serves an important function at least with Windows' "Magnifier," which has been critical while using my CRT monitor (and its tiny writing); without Aero, the Magnifier loses its "Lens" function (docking instead in the form of a long horizontal bar, taking up screen space), so I'm guessing Aero provides other services leading to more useful computing.

The idea is to try and get the HP monitor in working order again; YeahBleeping, you've been snappy with your replies thus far, but your silence over the last few days is making me wonder... if you are now scratching the head, can you consult with your expert colleagues? Or have them get in on this thread? Muchas grasses.

EDIT: Wrote the last bit keeping in mind my previous Bleeping Computer experiences... where someone from the "staff" would reply, until the question's hopeful resolution. But I am now noticing the description "Members" for my helpers thus far, so they are kind folks from my end of the team. All the more thanks for reaching out, and attempting to help.

Edited by Upbloat, 13 July 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

First I apologize for not getting back to this thread.  But I wonder if this fix will work for you ' to choose show icons ' as someone has discovered on this page.

#12 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Welcome back, YeahBleeping, I've missed you!

(No apologies necessary, I'm grateful that you have extended your precious time and expertise my way as you have. Especially after I realized you are another member, and not part of the B.C. "staff.")

Thank you for digging that page up. Wherever you look, seems there's another Bleepin' Computer problem!

The issue attended to on that page was the background wallpaper being replaced by black; I'm having trouble seeing how that would be connected to my problem, getting the HP monitor to work. (But you never know, right? Fooling around with controls can have surprising results, hopefully of the positive kind.)

Anyway, the good news is, yesterday my HP monitor started working again. And... I have no idea how it happened.

When I started losing hope, I began to consider the prospect of buying another monitor. Then I thought, maybe I can buy a DVI-D to VGA cable first, as bleak as that resolution seems to be. I looked at the back of the monitor and discovered a VGA port. Then I started thinking, maybe a VGA to VGA cable would be more guaranteed to work? Then I noticed the DVI-D connection. I started jiggling it around, when suddenly...

The desktop icons from the CRT monitor disappeared -- and as I despaired that I was losing the picture from that monitor as well, the HP monitor came on!

Now this makes no sense, because the connection was secure enough for the HP monitor to have worked before it went kaput, and for the HP monitor to continue working while doing all of my Safe Mode experiments and the like.

Bleepin' computers! No rhyme or reason, I tell ya...

Yet before you leave for good, Y.B., all is still not rosy and maybe I can get your expertise on a new issue. Although I fear this one will be difficult.

What's happening now is that the left edge of the desktop has spilled over beyond the right edge (and is no longer visible; this section is seen only when the mouse cursor hovers beyond the right edge of the screen).

Here is an image:

2cQGkRB.jpg

(In case the above image does not appear, the direct URL is here, from http://imgur.com/2cQGkRB .)

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel driver again, to no avail.

I can certainly live with this new problem, but perhaps you might have an idea. I don't remember where I noticed it, but one control stated the resolution as 1600 x 860, when it should officially be 1600 x 900.

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

I have to say I am a bit surprised by a lose cable causing your original issue.  Here are the steps to check and change the display resolution in windows 7.  See if it is set to what it should be.  I wonder if the cable itself has a bad / lose almost broken pin.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 14 July 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#14 Upbloat

Upbloat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

There's a possibility the cable may have a defect, but I have had a feeling of trust for this particular cable, which received glowing reviews and promises good workmanship just from its appearance.

The resolution is set to its native setting (1600 x 900), the maximum made available in the "slider"; exploring your suggestion, I tooled around a bit with a few of the other resolutions, but the spillover still remained.

As always, my appreciation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users