Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer - gaming and school?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cremello

Cremello

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

I have an HP Pavilion G6, and it's been maybe two or three years and it's just...so messed up now. After some research I found that HPs are apparently known for their fan issue, and my fan on my computer is not working at all. I had it fixed, and a couple days later, it stopped working again. Sheesh!

So now I'm looking for a new computer, but I don't know where to start. I have discounts for both Lenovo and HP, so I'm considering just staying within those brands, but I'd be willing to venture out. I need a computer for school (so, I'll be running Word, PowerPoint, Google Docs, etc) but I also like gaming when I'm not in school, and I'd like a computer that could handle that. Except for my games and some documents, I don't use up a lot of space on computers, but I'd still like a sizable amount of memory, and I'd like it to be a laptop. When I look into all this, though, I'm kind of staggered by the prices. I really don't have a lot of money, and we're going to be buying two computers this time!

Can anyone help me out?

I did this template just in case it helps:

Laptop or Desktop?
Laptop

My budget for the new computer is:
Probably under 750, but even 700 is pushing it for me.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
School and gaming, also I intend to use my Bamboo tablet with it.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop, things like that.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
I do play games, typically MMORPGs.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
I'll probably have Skype, Chrome, and either Sai or a game open. I know Skype slows a computer way down when gaming, though.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
No, not particularly. But I will be saving documents on it.

Will you be overclocking?
Nope.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
United States.

How many monitors are you planning to use?
Just one.

Do you need peripherals? OS?
Nope.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
Old HP computer really needs replacement now... I need two fans to game, and it's definitely not going to do well when school comes around again.

Edited by Cremello, 09 July 2015 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

Laptops are expensive.  You will be hard pressed to get yourself into a gaming laptop for under 900 to 1000.  Depending on what your willing to sacrifice.  You can check out notebookcheck.net for a list of gaming laptops.  As you already discovered.  Laptops are not cheap investments.

#3 Cremello

Cremello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

Thank you for your reply! That makes sense, actually. What about something that's at least capable of running a game? Honestly my current computer had graphics at 1366x768p, and I haven't thought of the graphics as faulty at all, so I probably wouldn't mind anything that seems sub-par to gamers.

Edited by Cremello, 09 July 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Any 'newer laptop capable of DX11' is capable of running games.  You will just have to choose how much video quality you are willing to sacrifice as far as that goes.  There are some less expensive 'gaming capable' laptops from MSI.  You can check them out at xoticpc.com I like their site because they offer a lot of options. 

#5 qbnparbed

qbnparbed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

yes,You can check them out at xoticpc.com I like their site because they offer a lot of options.7.gif

Edited by qbnparbed, 12 July 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#6 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:12 AM

I found something in your budget range.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/ALIENWARE-LAPTOP-700GB-HD-2-4GHz-8GB-M14x-gamer-gaming-i-7-ufo-computer-i7-video-/261945795889?nav=SEARCH
Its an Alienware that costs around $670.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users