Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happens to the Recovery (D:) and HP Tools (E:) partitions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

I have two HP computers with Windows 7: a laptop and a desktop. Both came with three partions on their hard disk drives.  When these are upgraded after July 29th to Windows 10, what will happen to the Recovery (D:) and HP Tools (E:) paritions?

I certainly don't want a system recovery operation to revert my computers to Windows 7, with all the bloatware that came with the factory-installed Windows 7!  Will these partitions be re-sized to accommodate a recovery to the original Windows 10 release?  Will they be eliminated altogether?

Does anyone here know?

Jim in Vancouve, Washington, USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

Hi RuddyDuck :)

If you upgrade to Windows 10, these partitions will remain as they are. They won't be deleted nor modified. And the recovery image stored on the Recovery partition will still be the one for Windows 7 by HP, not Windows 10.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thank you. After upgrade to Windows 19, can I dlete those partitions and recover their disk space?

(I suspect that Windows 10 might ocupy more space on the C: partition, and it would be nice to recover that space.)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

You are free to delete these partitions after the upgrade and expand your C: partition using that free space you'll create, yes. If you need I can assist you with that when the time will come.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thank you.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#7 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

I would suggest that you burn your recovery partition to DVD before deleting it--usually there is a utility to "create recovery disks."  If something goes wrong during the upgrade process, you'll need these to go back to square one and try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users