Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting 8.1 and 10

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Have a quick question,I have a dell Inspiron 3487 desktop and the hard drive is formatted GPT.Does this mean I will have to format my USB stick with Rufus to install 10 on my computer,Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hi Plumber :)

Yes, you can use RUFUS set to create a bootable USB for GPT partition on a UEFI computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Thank-you for your quick response.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

Of course, you'll need a separate partition for Windows 10, though.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Thanks,I have already created a seperate 50gig partition.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

That's not big enough.  Can you make it larger?  For Windows, anything less than 80 GB is asking for trouble.  There are so many functions native to Win10 that require a huge amount of maneuvering room.  Good things, like virtual machines (Hyper-V, which Wintard of PC World forums patiently sold me on some years ago), swap (a Linux term, but Windows uses the same idea, makes your programs run faster), recovery, restore points, recycle bins, lots of room needed so your OS will run happily.

Please, hard disks aren't so expensive now, and you can clone to a bigger drive prior to installation.  You will not like being cramped at 50GB.  I even feel cramped at 120 GB for XP.  But I don't store data on it.

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 03:37 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

You can get a nice 1 TB mechanical drive for $50 nowadays!

If that's too much space, a 500 GB drive can be had for $35!

Edited by gigapouch, 13 July 2015 - 03:46 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, giga, they're selling them in LOTS in Ebay. I keep drooling over the selection of internal and external drives to be had.  Never can have too many.

Aha - this keyboard's last typed characters, my new one has arrived!  Tally Ho!

And this, is the new one, very clackety, like the old IBM keyboards, but with huge yellow keys!

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 04:14 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

That's not big enough. Can you make it larger? For Windows, anything less than 80 GB is asking for trouble.

This isn't true. I run some of my Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 VMs on a 25GB virtual HDD and they run just fine. It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. If Plumber just want to install Windows 10 and test a few standard programs, 40GB is more than enough to do so.

unite_blue.png

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

Aura, if it's only 50GB he can't do virtual.  He can't do Virtual AND recovery, restore points, recycle bin: the latter's 10% default, do you really want to recommend he cut that, ESPECIALLY with a GPT drive?  It will be risky to run and slow as molasses.  So I'll just agree to disagree with you.

Edited by brainout, 13 July 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

I can install Windows 10 on a 30GB virtual hard drive right now if you want. Also, he can decide to allow only 5GB to the restore point, that's more than enough. As for the Recovery, he can just rollback or do a clean installation. So yes it's possible to run Windows 10 on a 40GB partition. There's no "I agree to disagree here". You disagree that it's not a good idea, but you cannot disagree that it's not possible.

unite_blue.png

#13 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

I created only 50gigs because I don't plan to give up 8.1 untill I have to.I just want to see the difference and experiment a little.You

have to understand that I am 68 years old and am not anywhere near being a techie.All I ever do on my computer is listen to music,

maybe download a video or two.I also keep most of my files on there backed up so I don't need a paper trail.Just want to have fun,I think 50gigs will suit me just fine but thanks for the replies.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

50GB will suit you just fine Plumber like I said, no need to worry about it :)

unite_blue.png

#15 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thank-you Aura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users