Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F-secure Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

Im just wondering if any of you have ever used or are at present using F-Secure AV,and if its any good and just how bad is it on eating the CPU. I have heard mixed opinions on its CPU usage so thats why im asking you!

The reason i ask, is over here in the UK,there is a leading Bank that for selected customers is giving away the new 2006 version away for free in order to crack down on on-line fraud. It is the full version and is all legit,and is offered free with all features for 24months. You simply download it from the official site and enter the product key recieved from the Bank in there letter.

The bank is also now,informing any customer by paging (text message) there mobile phone free of charge immediately after a transaction is made using there online account. So,if the transaction is legit,the customer simply ignors there text message, and if they recieve it when they have made no such transaction,they simply call there bank straight away and they track it back immediatley.I guess it works out best for both parties, we get a free AV,and even though the bank is technically paying for the AV, its considerably less than paying us back if our money is stolen on-line.

Many thanks,
Graveangel
:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 10 July 2006 - 08:10 AM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

I have never used it but with those features I would think it is worth a try. The worst that happens (I would hope) is you don't like it. F-secure is well respected by all accounts, and I would not see where you could be hurt. Just my opinion.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:29 AM

I have never used any F-Secure products other then their BlackLight Rootkit Detector, but like acklan said: The worst that could happen (I second him on the hopefully) is that you don't like their product; in which case, you can simply uninstall it and roll back to whatever you were using.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

From what I have read, F-Secure has incorpoted their rootkit detection technology from BlackLight into their new suite.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

I have never used F-Secure either(I use AntiVir now) , but have never heard a "bad word" about it's abilitys as it is a well respected AV product , I always shied aways from suites but I don't really see a problem with them. I don't see how you could go wrong with it for free and would pick it over norton any day(free or not).

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, like you all said, if i dont like it i can always revert back, so i am obviously going to give it a go. Just wondered if anyone had used it before.

But again,many thanks

Have a great day!
Posted Image
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#7 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

Just thought id pop back to update you on procedures.

I downloaded F-Secure, turned off my firewall and safely uninstalled my other AV whilst un-connected from the internet. Installed the software and tried it out.

So what have i found so far....................F-Secure is one great piece of protection software. Ive not used its firewall,im more than satisfied with Sygate, and they are compatable with each other so no problems there.

When installing the software it lists conflictions with other products and asks you to remove them if needed. It came up with just one of mine which was Ad-Aware, the reason for that is due to the Anti-Spyware that is included in the F-Secure software. In basic, it practically uses the Ad-Aware registered version as its Spyware detecting software.

When scanning the system, it scans using both the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software at the same time,saving extra minutes off your scanning procedure. This does not slow scanning down either,they alternate with each other as it goes through your files so it doesnt miss anything.A full system scan on my laptop took a little over 30mins.

In a couple of online reviews i have read, they state that F-Secure is excellent but uses up alot of the CPU. I do admit,it has a few processes running, however, i have not seen any noticeable slow down. More so, after reading the editors reviews i read the user reviews and they all quote what ive just said. So maybe they tried it on an older system. But i can tell you if you have a PC that is 3years or younger,then you shouldnt have any problems.

Further more, one thing i found very impressive is that it searchers for updates every 5 minutes, and you dont even notice it. Plus as quietman7 pointed out, it has the rootkit detection technology included too.

All in all,i got this free so i was lucky. But if i were to buy an Anti-Virus product in the future, this would be up there with Kaspersky.

If your looking for a new AV, that you want to pay for, try going to the F-Secure site. They let you download a trial version for a short while so you can see if its what youre looking for.

In my opinion, its worth a try, even if after you decide to stay with the free AVs.

Happy Browsing
:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 30 July 2006 - 10:16 AM.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

I haven't used F-Secure's Security Suit myself but talking with a few acquaintances who have I've gotten the impression that F-Secure's Security Suit is the best one out there. But there remains the Jack of all trades, master of none issue.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users