Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why people get Infected.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:51 AM

When people get infected they always wanted to know how they got infected. Maybe they clicked on a unusual link or clicked an ad that says to clean your PC, well don't it will get you into a very sticky situation and it will take hours to get rid of unwanted malware or crummy software that decides to check your PC without asking permission. That's why I always have an up-to-date computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Premium) to keep my computer in top-notch condition, and you should too!

Using updates can keep your computer clean, make sure to have a Anti-Malware package installed with it so you can get away from unwanted programs, rootkits, trojans and ransomware. Visiting torrent sites have lots of malware and adware for example a game you want has a trojan in it or a Antivirus Package that has being modified might have a rootkit in it, also free software like VLC media player might have that usual webcake malware packed inside of it.

What is a Trojan?

It's a backdoor malware that is designed to provide unauthorized, remote access to someones computer. Trojans do not have the ability to replicate themselves like viruses, however they can lead to installing viruses, because it is controlled by the Trojans creator. The term Trojan came from a Greek story called the Trojans War, when the Greeks were offering the trojans a peace treaty in the form of a large wooden horse, however once the trojans wheeled the horse behind their closed gates and night fell, the soldiers hidden in the horse climbed out and opened the city gates allowing the Greeks to capture Troy and take over the city. Same as computing using Troy as the computer and the horse as a benign-seeming application. Trojans can cause havoc they steal credit card information and install nasty malware that makes your computer very slow, also the creator can turn your PC into a botnet zombie which can cause more chaos!.

What is a Virus?

A computer virus is a sort of code that is able to multiply itself into large amount of numbers it can corrupt, slow and wreck your computer. It can also corrupt your favourite photos, music and videos so then you'll have to start from scratch thats why you should have a clean backup and make sure you have system restore turned off, because it will backup the malware for you. Virus writers also find exploits in applications so that they can infect your computer.

What is an unwanted application? (PUP)

A potentially unwanted program (PUP) is an annoying program like a cleaner or virus scanner that looks unfamiliar to you. Unwanted programs may have that buy now button which might have a Trojan or virus hidden deeply inside the program. Those programs also have trojans hidden inside the uninstall program when you go and get rid of it which can be rather scary if you don't know what you are doing.

What is ransomware?

Ransomware can lock your computer and hold your precious files hostage. They can also lock it so that you can't look at its contents of the file. Ransomware can also ask you to pay in Bitcoins to unlock your computer which in a way I could say don't. The reason why is because they might be tricking you into a scam, also they might not send the decryption key to your email even though you've paid it. Ransomware also has a timer that counts down to zero, after it reaches zero your files will disappear which can make you go nuclear if you don't have a backup device like a portable hard drive or USB stick.

What is a Rootkit?

Rootkits are another thing I want to talk about. Rootkits can hook deep into a computers system which can make your computer go haywire. Your system might start begin to slow a lot and bootup times will start to degrade. That's why a rootkit removal kit should be handy in case of emergency like TDSS killer provided by Kaspersky which only takes a few moments to scan your computer.

Conclusion:

Time to wrap things up here! Make sure you have an up-to-date computer and a fully activated antivirus package I recommend Avast since it offers you a free full year of antivirus protection once you sign up for it on their website. Until then.... Safe Surfing!

Hint: (You can even use the free license key on the premier version of Avast!)

From Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:01 AM

You might want to see these...

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Just FYI, some of the definitions that you wrote aren't very close to what they actually are. :lol:

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Yes im only in Yr 10 at the moment, but my Malware research is expanding little by little.

From Robert

#4 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Yes im only in Yr 10 at the moment, but my Malware research is expanding little by little.

When you say you are only in year 10, do you actually mean you are 10 year old? I'm impress that you able to know this stuff, as other people around your age going to be like " What is he talking about?". 

You also forgot adware and malware. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 09 July 2015 - 02:36 AM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:50 AM

When you say you are only in year 10

Year 10 in high school, that would mean about 15 years old.

#6 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:00 AM

He is in high school?! He could have done my math homework long time ago.  :(

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 09 July 2015 - 03:00 AM.

#7 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

Yes im 15 years old not a 10 year old, but I have been using computers since I was three lol. :lmao:
But my first laptop had XP installed on it and I already at that time I knew how to use an antivirus program the proper way.

Edited by CodeSmasha, 09 July 2015 - 03:24 AM.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:20 AM

My first computer... ahhh, the days of Windows 95 and dial-up Internet :lol:

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

And there I was plugging away on green and orange screens in high school... you guys make me feel so old.

#10 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:25 AM

Nah.  A ZX81 followed by a BBC Microcomputer here

:hysterical:

Those were the days.  Writing code in Z80 machine code on a ZX81 (no assembler, had to convert the mnemonics to hex manually) and then on the BBC Micro, 6502 assembly language (as well as BBC Basic, excellent language for its time).

Viruses?  Malware?  Adware?

What?!?!??

Edited by Angoid, 09 July 2015 - 04:26 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

I guess being a Linux user I have to ask, What's a virus? :unsure:

Edited by NickAu, 09 July 2015 - 04:49 AM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:46 AM

Topic moved to a more appropriate forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

Like Alex said, there's a few definitions I would adjust if not rethink. And I would add a few more of them as well :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

Glossary of Malware Related Terms
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:43 AM

Dial-Up? Yeah had to put up with it and at that time lots of nasty malware was being made too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users