Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build: all hardware appears to work, black screen with cursor.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson2011

Tyson2011

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hey guys, so I just built my first computer, and when i turn it on everything appears to be running inside the machine, but my display only shows a black screen with a white cursor that appears for a second and then disappears. very occasionally, i'll get a way more brief than usual splash screen.  the computer will not respond to keyboard commands, and simply jumps to a black screen immediately if i press something (making the arrow disappear faster than usual).  I tried resetting the cmos, as that was recommended to me, but it didn't do anything (left the battery out for 30 minutes).

my hardware is as follows:

case: thermaltake versa h21

cpu: amd 8350

gpu: sapphire r9 280x vapor x tri x

psu: xfx 550w 80+bronze

storage: WD blue 1tb

memory: crucial ballistix sport 8gb (4gb x 2)

optical drive: samsung dvd drive

board: gigabyte ga-970a-d3p

I'm not able to access my bios, and don't currently have any operating system installed.  Please help! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

Hey guys, so I just built my first computer, and when i turn it on everything appears to be running inside the machine, but my display only shows a black screen with a white cursor that appears for a second and then disappears. very occasionally, i'll get a way more brief than usual splash screen.

** Rest of post deleted for brevity **

I'm not able to access my bios, and don't currently have any operating system installed.  Please help! Thanks!

Tyson,

How have you setup your monitor? 

Did you connect by way of a VGA display cord, DVI cord or HDMI cord?

Since we do not know what kind of monitor you are using, please tell us the monitor model brand name and model number.

Along with that, please let us know what type of display connections are on the back of the monitor.

Thanks.

Buzzsaw

You can find answers to your computer questions by doing an internet search. Go to www.google.com! Try it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

20+ years of building computers

#3 Tyson2011

Tyson2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:44 PM

i was running hdmi into the monitor (a small led tv), and dvi into the computer.  i haven't used a desktop in a while, so i'm waiting on a decent monitor.

troubleshooting some more, i found that by plugging in a usb keyboard instead of the round cabled one (not sure what its called), the splash screen stays up for a normal amount of time.  by doing this though, the keyboard is not capable of working, although the num/caps/scroll lock lights are blinking at me when i do this. they do not blink when i plug in the round style cable.

#4 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:48 PM

i was running hdmi into the monitor (a small led tv), and dvi into the computer.  i haven't used a desktop in a while, so i'm waiting on a decent monitor.

troubleshooting some more, i found that by plugging in a usb keyboard instead of the round cabled one (not sure what its called), the splash screen stays up for a normal amount of time.  by doing this though, the keyboard is not capable of working, although the num/caps/scroll lock lights are blinking at me when i do this. they do not blink when i plug in the round style cable.

Tyson,

For the record... the rounded keyboard connector is called a PS2 connector.

Ok... it looks like you are having a keyboard issue, not a computer hardware issue.

Do you have another PS2 keyboard laying around that you can use?

It's preferable at this time to use a PS2 keyboard so that you don't use up any USB ports.

Are you able to access the BIOS screen at all?

Buzzsaw

You can find answers to your computer questions by doing an internet search. Go to www.google.com! Try it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

20+ years of building computers

#5 Tyson2011

Tyson2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

i tried using a USB to PS2 adapter on the usb keyboard, but that didn't work either.

i'm not able to access bios at all.

also, my PS2 keyboard worked on another computer, so i'm not sure that its a keyboard issue.

#6 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:00 AM

I don't know if this is work, but it's better to try it out.

#7 Tyson2011

Tyson2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

I don't know if this is work, but it's better to try it out.

will that work if i don't have windows at all yet? shift+f8, or f8 alone, does nothing for me.

#8 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

Wait wait wait, so you just finish build your PC but haven't install Windows? 

#9 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

I think you have the same issue as this person had right? http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2298075/black-screen-blinking-cursor-custom-built.html

#10 Tyson2011

Tyson2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:24 AM

its similar, but i haven't tried to install an OS yet, and my cursor doesn't blink. it just appears for a couple of seconds and then i get the black screen of death.

#11 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Do you see your motherboard logo when you power up your PC? Also, it does make sense that your motherboard give you a black screen since there's nothing on your drive, so can you try to install Windows and see if it showing any sign? My motherboard give me a black screen with a white text when i power up my PC after i put all my computer parts together. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 09 July 2015 - 12:36 AM.

#12 Tyson2011

Tyson2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

Do you see your motherboard logo when you power up your PC?

most of the time, yes. with the ps2 keyboard plugged in, it will just flash and dissapear (when i say flash, i mean a very small fraction of a second). with the usb keyboard that doesn't work at all plugged in, it will stay for around 4-5 seconds. sometimes, it just doesn't come up at all.

#13 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

You cannot move your mouse if you are not on the OS environment  or the Bios, so can you please insert your Windows installation disc and once you boot up to the Windows setup try to move your mouse from there. Yes this is normal for any modern build computer today, if you see your motherboard logo then you are okay, nothing to paranoid. Now just install Windows, and we will go from there.

As matter of fact, you also state you cannot access to the bios? Can you please list the motherboard specification? 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 09 July 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#14 Tyson2011

Tyson2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

You cannot move your mouse if you are not on the OS environment  or the Bios, so can you please insert your Windows installation disc and once you boot up to the Windows setup try to move your mouse from there. Yes this is normal for any modern build computer today, if you see your motherboard logo then you are okay, nothing to paranoid. Now just install Windows, and we will go from there.

As matter of fact, you also state you cannot access to the bios? Can you please list the motherboard specification? 

how do i install windows if i can't do anything from the splash screen? i just put in my disk, as well as tried to boot it from a usb, and i'm still on the black screen of death.

motherboard specifications: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5193#sp

#15 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

Everything is compatible, and you should not see any mouse cursor if there no OS install, you should at least able to access to BIOS and that's it. So i can roll two options and one of them should be the culprit is either one of your hardware are defective or there something wrong with the motherboard. In this case, my prediction is the motherboard since you can't access to the BIOS  but there something you can do is try to test the RAM stick if it function or not, and do you see your graphics card fans spinning? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users