Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move data to Win 8 computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

I'm probably posting in the wrong place but.....

My old Win 7 64 bit MSI Notebook died after 10 years. The processor overheated and quit because I didn't keep the cooloing ducts clean. Anyway the moderators can move this to where ever they think it should be,

I have the hard drive from the old Win 7 machine in an enclosure and I can acess it with the new Win 8.1 MSI notebook (hate it). I want to transfer my files and folders from the old hard drive to the new PC. I ran MS Office 2003 Student and Teacher in the old machine and have MS Office 2013 installed in the new machine. I would like to recover my folders and email files from the MS Outlook 2003 on the old hard drive and move them to my new MS Outlook 2013 Program. I also would like to recover my Google Earth placemarks, my desktop if possible in fact I would like to just clone the old machine and make this all seemless. I don't understand the "one Drive" cloud concept but I did (accidently) upload the old hard drive to the "cloud".

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sudsy

both machines are 64 bit

Edited by sudsy, 08 July 2015 - 10:26 PM.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

I'm probably posting in the wrong place but.....

My old Win 7 64 bit MSI Notebook died after 10 years. The processor overheated and quit because I didn't keep the cooloing ducts clean. Anyway the moderators can move this to where ever they think it should be,

I have the hard drive from the old Win 7 machine in an enclosure and I can acess it with the new Win 8.1 MSI notebook (hate it). I want to transfer my files and folders from the old hard drive to the new PC. I ran MS Office 2003 Student and Teacher in the old machine and have MS Office 2013 installed in the new machine. I would like to recover my folders and email files from the MS Outlook 2003 on the old hard drive and move them to my new MS Outlook 2013 Program. I also would like to recover my Google Earth placemarks, my desktop if possible in fact I would like to just clone the old machine and make this all seemless. I don't understand the "one Drive" cloud concept but I did (accidently) upload the old hard drive to the "cloud".

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sudsy

both machines are 64 bit

Thanks Chris for changing the title. Although I haven't had a single suggestion of how to get my personal data from the old hard drive to the new PC.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

Some help here would be greatly appreciated. I have loaded the Custom Shell and can now at least manuever in the Win 7 look alike.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Assuming you can find your way to 'Windows Explorer' - if there isn't a tile for it you can either use the search function or switch over to 'desktop' view and there is normally an icon for it on the taskbar - then use that to move files and folders from you old drive to the new one.

Your Google Earth files can be found here -

C:\Users\'Your name'\AppData\Locallow\Google\GoogleEarth and the file names are myplaces.backup.kml  and myplaces.kml .

I don't use Outlook but I believe you are looking for a file of .PST type. If the above helps with your other problems then I suggest you start another topic solely in connection with your Outlook problem in the 'Business software' section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

I have tried the methods sugessted but can't find the files. I have also tried to find the files with WinDirStat and copy and paste what I can find without sucess. I will try again.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

I got it! It took a lot of time ti figure it all out but I got all the info moved over.

Case Closed!

Sudsy :bounce:

UFO pilot

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

Well I'm glad you solved the problem. Care to explain - even briefly - how you did it ?

And while I am always grateful for thanks, there is no need to copy a complete post to say so !  By all means, use quotes to highlight a particular point or to ask for clarification on a particular point but it is seldom necessary to quote a complete post. POsts, with very rare exceptions, stay in topics for ever.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

Well I'm glad you solved the problem. Care to explain - even briefly - how you did it ?

And while I am always grateful for thanks, there is no need to copy a complete post to say so !  By all means, use quotes to highlight a particular point or to ask for clarification on a particular point but it is seldom necessary to quote a complete post. POsts, with very rare exceptions, stay in topics for ever.

Chris Cosgrove

Well Chris I guess it was more or less hunt and peck on a computer. I finally realized that all the data I needed was on the hard drive that I removed from failed Win 7 machine and put in the HDD enclosure. I just copied the .pst files that I found and changed the prefix from drive F (external HDD) "F:\" to "C:\"and saved them to the "C" drive. In documents I think. I can't remember the exact paths. I am still dealing with some quirks and will just muddle along until I get the new Win 10 OS on the 29th. I sure hope it is all that it is cracked up to be. I found win 8 to be "cartoonish" and I guess I see where it would work nice on a touch screen machine. I'm too old to be learning too much stuff. I also build multirotors and FPV airplanes and that technology changes almost daily. :woot:

Thanks agian for the help. I hope I posted this correctly this time. I am able to read all of the emails that I had saved on the old machine.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#9 troystz

troystz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

Sudsy,

A little late to the party but, for the future. Fab's Autobackup has worked well for me as long as you haven't done too much customization to the default file locations. You just mount the old drive on the new computer and point the program to the windows directory on the old drive, from there it usually does a good job of finding everything.

Regards,

Troy

#10 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Troy;

When I followed the link and tried to upload the free version (v2) it says it does not work with Windows Vista or Windows 7. I am trying to move Win 7 files to a win 8.1 machine. I am poking my way through a lot of trial and error to get all my stuff back. Just need bookmarks now and I have another idea to try for that.

Thanks fpr the response.

Sudsy

Edited by sudsy, 14 July 2015 - 04:36 PM.

UFO pilot

#11 troystz

troystz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hello Sudsy,

It should work fine on Windows 7, I have used on XP machines forward.

The unfortunate part that I had forgotten to check, if you are going to slave the drive to your current computer to transfer data you have to have the pro version. So, it might not have very much usefulness to you if you don't think you'll use it again.

Other than than it is something that I can definitely vouch for and use at least weekly for customer computers coming through the door.

Here is the direct link to download the trial pro version if you are still tempted to try it.

If not I wish you the best of luck on the copy. :)

Have a good one,

Troy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users