Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Usb 2.0 Adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carlos6

carlos6

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:27 AM

Hi to all
P4/1.7GB/WinXP SP2/380MB RAM

Have just installed USB 2.0 4 port PCI adapter card without any problems and Device manager shows all devices including VIA USB Enhanced host controller and USB 2.0 Root hub. USB 2.0 ports were tested with USB 2 Pen drive and seems to work OK. The problem is that when I turn off the PC and Reboot,Device manager does not show above mentioned adapters and all USB ports work as USB 1.1 . Then I RESTART PC and Device manager again shows USB 2.0 adapters.In short I have to Reboot and then Restart to get required drivers. PCI Adapter manufacturer unknown and chip is VIA VT6212L. PCI adapter tried on other pci slots with the same results as below.Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Device Manager in first Switch on

Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal host Controller 2442
Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal host Controller 2444
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal host controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal host controller

Device manager on restart
Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal host Controller 2442
Intel 82801BA/BAM USB Universal host Controller 2444
USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB root hub
USB root hub
USB root hub
USB root hub
VIA Rev 5 or later USB universal host controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB universal host controller
VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

With USB the normal way to install it is to install the software first then put in the USB device. With USB adapters it might be different. Did the Board come with a sheet that gives instructions? If not then I would shut down the computer and remove the USB adapter and then reboot with out it. Run the computer say to get your email and then shut down and re-install the USB adapter. Actually I would try the adapter in another slot just for the heck of it.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

The problem is that when I turn off the PC and Reboot,Device manager does not show above mentioned adapters and all USB ports work as USB 1.1

Sounds like windows is confused about which drivers are available.
Just so I'm understanding your description, on a cold boot (from power off stage) is were the problem starts but afterwards, a warm boot (windows restart) it works correctly?
Enter cmos setup (bios) and look for a "usb legacy device" entry. Set it to "disabled', save and exit.
If seems to cure it, then there would seem to be a conflict between any usb legacy devices you're using or on-board usb 1.1 ports.

Edited by HitSquad, 10 July 2006 - 01:31 PM.

#4 carlos6

carlos6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:34 AM

Hello ThorXP/HitSquad
As per your instructions, the USB 2.0 Adapter card came with installation CD which I used to install. I also removed the adapter and rebooted, then reinstalled, moved to other PCI slots with the same result (No enhanced devices).In CMOS setup also disabled 'USB Legacy Devices'. any other suggestions will be
appreciated. Thanks for your time.

#5 bodger1946

bodger1946

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:17 AM

A suplimentary question here please:
are you saying that a motherboard wired for usb 1 can take an adaptor card to run usb 2 devices at the proper speed?

#6 carlos6

carlos6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

Yes, I fitted a USB 2.0 adapter in a PCI slot.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

The support page for your USB adapter is here:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/resources/pressro...30424vt6212.jsp

PCI Adapter manufacturer unknown and chip is VIA VT6212L

Via Technologies is the manufacturer

0 user(s) are reading this topic